Struggling to find info on the differences between the Case 480c and 580c. I bought a 1978 480c. Have managed to buy manual/disc for 580c which is packed with good stuff, but... and how does the floor come off to inspect the brake set up, which are a bit dodgy. Can anyone help this amateur ??
480-580 The biggest thing is the cab floor area and the seat swivel, The 480 is a little smaller but packs a good punch, the lift on both the loader and backhoe is less, front bucket smaller and loader linkages different. The rear backhoe is a 33 hoe, single cylinder boom, the swing and stab cylinders are a lot smaller, they were standard with a 12' hoe, option 14' also extenda-hoe version, engine 188, @43 hp, same shuttle as 580, trans and rear end close, brakes same as the 580c, machine wt is lighter. Rear buckets inner change. The 580c had the 207 engine at 55 hp, heavier backhoe 35 hoe with two boom cylinder on the hoe, both front and rear have more lift and digging power, hoe dig depth 14'-14', 7". This is just some general info. To do the brakes you don't need to pull the floor, I can count on one hand the # of times I pulled a floor, just don't need to do it unless you like to beat up on yourself. I like the 480 but it is not a 580 by no means. I dislike the seat system and floor space the most when switching from front to rear. I like the 580 size better for the work I do.
Thank you Mr foot, good info leads me to believe there's enough on my discs to give reasonable hints at methods of repair. For the brakes, are you removing the wheels ? It's a nice ol' machine, just dodgy brakes. Again, thanks.
Leave the wheels on. Wear your safety glasses, unhook the park brake cable clevis where it hooks to the cross shaft on the top of the trans axle, remove the clevis pin on the cross shaft link rod to the brake housing upper lever, unscrew the brake line where it goes into the slave cylinder, remove the two 1/2" bolts and washers, two 1/2" nuts and washers. Be ready to slide the housing off the side gear shaft ( note drum and disc may stay on the shaft or come off with the brake housing and bands) It is kind of heavy and you may get a face full of brake dust and parts of linings. This is the lt side sitting in the seat. The rt is the same but you have to take the rod to the diff lock loose, remove the bolts and bracket for the diff lock housing and (1) allen head cap screw. Remove the link pin from the cross shaft, unscrew the brake line, two 1/2" nut and two 1/2" bolts, slide the housing off like said before. Follow the manual to clean and change out parts needed. If you have oil leaks in there you have other steps to do. More later if needed. You can use the casece parts lookup, and sites like broken tractor for some est on what some of the parts cost for quick reff.
I know this is a old thread but I thought I would relate my experience with 480c brakes; The other guys are saying not to remove the floorboard, but with my case I did and am glad I did. Everything on my hoe was frozen up and the wheel cylinders were leaking. I recommend you get a engine hoist to help you, unless you have a strong back. The seat assembly is very heavy, the hoist will help your back if you are working by yourself. Once you get the seat out, I had to take the heater out and loosen the floor throttle pedal. I then had to pry on the floor, it was stuck. I then took the hoist and chained the floor to it, and started lifting and snaking it around to fit through the doorway. I was then able to see what I was doing and how everything worked. I took the brakes off, thought I was going to have to buy new wheel cylinders. All I did was put a 25 cent o-ring in each one after of cleaned and sanded out the bores of the wheel cylinders, and they work fine now. Everything was froze up. The cross shaft for the parking brake, the adjusters on the brake assemblies, the adjustments for the parking brake levers, etc. I kept spraying and working everything, even the parking brake cable was froze up. Once I go everything working and cleaned up, I put it back together without the floorboard, just bolted the seat back in place. Everything is working fine. I think I am going to take my torch and cut the floorboard in half right down the middle. Weld some threaded tabs along the cut for bolts, and put it back in on half at a time. It should be much lighter and easier that way.