Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480F lost first gear

pat86 · 2022-05-20 20:47

I have a case 480f that has no power in first gear. The gears seem to be working as they should. I’m thinking it has a bad clutch pack in the shuttle shift for first gear but I’m not sure. Any input would be great.

Replies6
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2022-05-22 20:54

    Sounds like you have first gear synchronizer that's bad or the first gear on top shaft.

  2. #2alrman2022-05-23 00:56

    Are you saying you can shift the four speed lever & all feels ok, but the machine wont drive in first? - But drives ok in second & third etc? What happens in Reverse? Shuttle oil level is OK? Checking it when engine is idling?

  3. #3pat862022-05-26 07:41

    I just got clarification. The fluid level is good, the machine shifts in all gears but only creeps when in forward or reverse, regardless of what gear you are in.

  4. #4pat862022-05-31 22:40

    I did check the oil when it was idling. It has the transmission dipstick tube over the starter on the right side of the engine. The oil looks relatively clean and doesn’t smell burnt. The gear selector shifts into all four gears with no problems or grinding. It move forward slowly but with no power in all gears going forward. It shifts into reverse with no trouble and moves in reverse in all gears but again has no power/speed. There isn’t any oil leaking from the bell housing area but I’m not sure about the torque converter. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2022-06-01 14:51

    Have you done a stall test for the trans yet?

  6. #6alrman2022-06-01 23:00

    There is a possibility there is an issue with the transmission cut-out operation in the shuttle control valve - but I wouldn't bet my house on it. Disconnect the wires to the cut out solenoid on the side of the shuttle - & just for fun, try the drive again. Next remove the solenoid & feel the plunger operation, it should have a noticeable resistance about halfway down as the plunger makes contact with the dump valve. The plunger should have a smooth operation - with a 'double clunk' it is depressed then released. If everything seems normal in what I've mentioned, there's not much more you can do from the outside on those transmissions - it maybe time to remove & overhaul.