Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 485 coolant drain

mhobson · 2025-12-31 09:51

Hello, I have a 1985 Case 485 tractor fitted with the 3 cylinder diesel engine. I want to change the coolant, but the supply and return pipes to the radiator from the cylinder head are both at the top. How can I empty the block, I can see no drain tap. There must be a simple way.

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2026-01-01 01:12

    There should be a drain fitted to the bottom of the radiator - #4

  2. #2mhobson2026-01-01 05:22

    There is no drain either on the old nor the new radiator, however I just have to detach the hose from the bottom of the radiator to empty the radiator, but as I said, both outlet and inlet to the engine connect at the front of the cylinder head, there is no way to empty the block. Sometimes engine blocks have a tap near the bottom where you can empty the coolant.

  3. #3JaredV2026-01-01 11:00

    Worst case scenario, pop a freeze plug out?