Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 550 long track chains

Dwight Yachuk · 2021-06-28 17:15

I have a 1990 Case 550 long track dozer and I need new chains. I'm in Canada. The local dealer can't find this model in his computer. I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to help? Dwight

Replies10
  1. #1Welder Dave2021-06-28 18:04

    I would guess it just uses longer tracks (more links) than a standard 550 dozer. Sounds like maybe your dealer needs to look a little harder. Trek and other aftermarket are likely available.

  2. #2Dwight Yachuk2021-06-29 07:14

    Thanks Dave. You would think they are a standard sized link and knowing the spacing of the sprocket (6") and length (39 pads) it would be easy to know what length of chain is needed. All they are saying is that "It isn't in the computer". I'll check out different dealers but I am hopins someone on this forum can say they have the exact same dozer and the chain PN is ????? thx

  3. #3Dwight Yachuk2021-06-29 07:35

    Dealer came through with a quote $3800 Cdn!

  4. #4Welder Dave2021-06-29 11:27

    So I guess they found it. What does the $3800 include? If just the rails seems a little high. It's good to shop around and when you get other quotes ask on here. Someone may be able to tell.you if it's a good price and/or good quality for the money.

  5. #5Dwight Yachuk2021-06-29 14:08

    contacted another dealer and they couldn't match the price so I suppose that's the best price I'll be getting. That price is just the chains, nuts and bolts are extra (about $1 a pair). I'm okay with that. It's the last pair in the USA (in Texas) so otherwise I'd be waiting months and I want to get this baby working!!! I've never had a dozer before so it will be fun learning how to grade. I've had my Cat 215 shovel for 3 years now and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. Nothing better than being retired with a sand box to play in. thx

  6. #6Welder Dave2021-06-29 14:37

    I think an independent shop is going to be a lower cost than a dealer. You also want new sprockets with the new chain. Changing the pads over is worth paying to have done on a track press. Then they will.be tightened the proper torque turn way. Also need to check the rollers.

  7. #7Dwight Yachuk2021-06-29 16:28

    New sprockets put on last year but the owner didn't change the chain. All good there. Will have the rollers checked and I'll inquire about a rack ;press. Thanks for all the info. Dwight

  8. #8Welder Dave2021-06-29 19:43

    Usually who sells the tracks has a track press. Have you checked to see if Trek has your tracks? There are other after market too like ITM and ITR. Yours is a smaller machine so having the most extreme duty tracks isn't a big concern.

  9. #9nicky 68a2021-06-30 03:04

    I think it’s a fair price to be honest. They are rare and prices only go up. Get them. I’ve bought over £20k sterling in spares last year I didn’t need.That same amount of parts would now be £24k and could have availability issues.

  10. #10Welder Dave2021-06-30 12:57

    Are the rails the dealer can get SALT rails? I think both in the $3200/$3300 range for SALT would be in the ball park. If not salt a few hundred less. It doesn't hurt to get some aftermarket pricing to compare.