Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 550G Track won’t stay engaged

Old Sarge · 2016-07-23 14:50

I recently bought a Case 550G Long Track. I've ordered a service manual, but don't have it yet (said two weeks out), and have zero experience with this type of dozer, so I'm looking for ideas. The dozer cranks and runs fine, the undercarriage is in fairly good shape, sprockets actually look almost new. It shows only 1800 hours, but I'm not really trusting of hour meters on used equipment. It pushes dirt and brush okay, (which is why I bought it), but the right track speed control doesn't want to stay engaged. (When only one track has power, the pushing "ain't so much".) The lever doesn't move, but the track seems to pop into neutral every few seconds, until I "fiddle" with the lever. I took the seat off, and adjusted the tension on the track speed control per the owner's manual. The spring scale I had showed it was only about 2 1/2 lbs pressure to shift from neutral to high or low, so I adjusted it to about 8 lbs, (at the high side of the recommendation in the manual). I am still having to jiggle the lever on that track almost every time I shift from forward to reverse, or shift that track from low to neutral or neutral to high, or use the brake on that track. I note that the "ear" on the linkage from the lever (under the seat, near the front) actually touches one of the other linkage rods when in low range, but there's not a "dent" or mark on the rod that suggests it is hitting it really hard or staying there when the dozer moves. I know this is a long winded explanation of the problem, but while I started on this forum today, I break a lot of stuff, (trucks, tractors, loaders, etc.) and on those forums, know the better the explanation of the problem, usually the better folks are able to point me in the right direction. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1rutwad2016-07-23 20:05

    No clue, just a stab in the dark but could it be a speed sensor?

  2. #2JS3002016-07-24 22:48

    Does the track lock up or just free wheel? I would check the linkage and make sure it's operating the transmission control valve plunger completely in high and low. The service manual shows that there are springs and ports in the valve to each side maybe one is stuck or has some trash in it, have you check the return screen to see if anything is in it? My guess would be a sticking control valve but it could be a linkage problem.

  3. #3Old Sarge2016-07-25 07:20

    The track doesn't lock up. Yesterday I took the cover off below the control levers, and scraped about three inches of partially petrified sticks, dirt, and compost out of the bottom of the area of the first swivel in the linkage, and put it back on. The problem didn't happen again for about an hour of pushing brush, but the first time I "fiddled" with the linkage, it worked for an hour or so. I think your suggestion of junk loose in the hydraulic system makes better sense with the intermittent problem, will check that out next. Appreciate it.

  4. #4JS3002016-07-25 08:26

    I bought a 850G back in February and the first thing I did was drop the pans and take the floor plates of to pressure wash everything. It's amazing how much dirt and junk gets in there. The service manual has a really good break down of the control valve, in fact it has an entire section on how to rebuild it. Would be nice if it was just a linkage issue though.

  5. #5Old Sarge2016-07-25 08:36

    That is true. I have a sticking valve on one of the stabilizers on my backhoe, but as long as it just makes me have to raise it off the ground before I start each day, I've been too lazy to take out the nine or ten bolts to take the cover off and fix it! (And it probably just needs cleaning.)

  6. #6Old Sarge2016-08-06 22:24

    OK, just got the service manual in the mail today. Don't have the pressure gauge to test it with, but the troubleshooting guide talks about loss of power to one track, and I'll try those tests as soon as I get the right gauge. However, I am skeptical, since the track works fine until the dozer has run for an hour or so, then begins to "jump out of gear". (I can "jiggle" the track control and it starts pushing again. This isn't covered in the manual, but since the ambient temperature starts hitting the upper 90s by 10 a.m., and the dozer works fine until the temp gauge gets about 1/2 way into the green (it never gets hot), I'm wondering if there's something heat related, or expansion related that is causing this. Any suggestions? (I'll have to order the gauge, I live a long way from town.)

  7. #7kealo2021-04-28 15:29

    Did you solve this problem? I am having similar issue.

  8. #8dozer7772021-06-13 20:38

    JE POSSEDE 2 BULLDOZER 550GLT ET JE NE SUIS CAPABLE OPERE LES DEUX EN MEME TEMPS DONC IL EN A UN A VENDRE

  9. #9Tinkerer2021-06-14 09:18

    Translated ↓ I HAVE 2 BULLDOZER 550GLT AND I AM ONLY ABLE TO OPERATE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME SO IT HAS ONE FOR SALE. I think he means that he has two of them and one is for sale.

  10. #10Welder Dave2021-06-14 16:44

    He should post in the for sale forum. The 550 G's seemed to be quite popular here.