Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 550H Chain

dilbertdozer · 2017-11-18 22:44

Learning as I go but need some advice on chain bushings. When I purchased the seller stated the UC was at least 70%. I've put less than 40 hours and I've had to replace a front idler and one top roller and now I'm questioning the chain. I've noticed the round bushings on the chain are loose. They are like this on both sides and I'm not sure what they are supposed to be like. There is some popping when using but I may have the chain a little too tight. I try to keep 2" clearance midway between the middle roller and front grouser. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies6
  1. #1Bls repair2017-11-19 09:54

    How many hours on the machine ? What was wrong with the idler and roller?

  2. #2dilbertdozer2017-11-19 12:36

    3000 on the machine. Front idler bushing was worn out and had wallowed out such that the track adjustment could not tighten any more. The top roller is frozen. Looks as if the roller are self-contained and cannot be greased.

  3. #3Dickjr.2017-11-19 12:36

    Some of those came with a rotating bushing , they called it extreme duty u/c. I don't think they lived up to that name. Post some pics of it , different angles on all the u/c parts. Idlers with several hours on them are subject to go anytime , you might check the other one and see if it has plenty of oil in it.

  4. #4dilbertdozer2017-11-19 12:43

    Thanks!! I won't be able to get any pics until weekend, it's on my farm. It does have the extended UC. Looks as if the other idler has been replaced because of the difference in color and paint.

  5. #5Bls repair2017-11-19 13:26

    The pitch for that machine according to what I looked up is 6.29”. That is the distance between track pin centers. What I do to measure is ,measure from edge of pin to corresponding edge of next pin . The difference between the two measurements is how much wear you have.

  6. #6DMiller2017-11-20 17:39

    If you measure across five pins and divide by four you get an average for wear for sections.