Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 B hydralic pressure

3steps56 ยท 2013-04-30 01:20

What should the hydralic pressure be on a case 580 b at the filter? It had an old non working guage that the glass was broken out of. Couldn't read any of the numbers. I installed a temporary guage at the filter. Reads 40lbs at idle and 60 lbs at full throttle

Replies3
  1. #1melben2013-04-30 07:42

    That is a filter restriction gage and the pressures you are showing don't sound bad to me. It should read higher with cold oil and run lower as the oil heats up. As the filter becomes restricted you will read higher pressures. A baseline pressure with a fresh filter and new cold oil should be noted and used as a further reference. This pressure is not related to the digging or main relief pressure. Mel

  2. #23steps562013-04-30 12:09

    Thanks Mel. That makes sense. I knew the filter was on the intake side,but didn't understand the need for a guage there or what it should read. Filter and fluid need changed. Fluid is milky. How does the water get in fluid? Does the hydralic system have a cooler?

  3. #3melben2013-05-01 07:36

    Technically the filter is on the return as oil flow thru it both from the loader return and the hoe return it on it's trip back to sump, but the sump is also the intake side. A lot of those machines had the top right rear loader arm anchor repaired due to breakage by improper loader operation and a poor repair could allow water to enter there. I have also seen a lot of the breathers that the tops and elements were gone. I suppose that condensation could account for some of it as the frames heat and cool during operation. No coolers on those early machines, I'm thinking the C's were the first with a standard cooler. The power shuttle had a cooler on the C's and later. If you decide to change the oil, do not buy bargain basement oil, The V cups in Case cylinders can harden and fail with poor oils, I have replaced many dozens that the v cup went to pieces trying to remove it, it was so brittle. In 50+ years working at the same Case dealer I have come to the conclusion that HY Tran Ultra is the best investment for cylinder packing life. Not trying to start a brand war but general purpose oils are not adequate in my mind. Mel