Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 b no fuel to injectors

grt_580b · 2021-02-21 17:40

So my 580b was running while I was replacing the power steering cylinders and bleeding them, and it sputtered and died. I thought it ran out of fuel so I put more in it and opened the bleeder on the filter, I had fuel there so I cracked the supply line to the pump and had fuel there. I cracked an injector line on the pump and no fuel was coming out. So I cracked all 4 injector lines at the pump and cranked it untill the battery ran down in 15-20 second intervals. Never got fuel to the injector lines. I also took the return line off and removed the elbow and never saw fuel there either.... Not sure where to go next, there's full at the pump but none to the injector lines... Any ideas phil?

Replies20
  1. #1Midnightmoon2021-02-22 06:30

    Check the fuel shut off. What's the serial number

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-02-22 09:22

    Remove the petcock (shutoff) valve from the fuel tank. It has (should) have a screen on it. It may be plugged.

  3. #3grt_580b2021-02-22 12:46

    If I remove the supply line to the pump fuel flows freely out of the line so I don't think the per cock is stopped up but I'll take a look anyway

  4. #4Larryv2021-02-22 23:15
  5. #5Larryv2021-02-22 23:23

    Remove the inlet elbow on top of pump. It threads in to another straight fitting. Remove that fitting and look at bottom. S/b a small opaque ball inside held to seat With a very lite spring.Small bits of crap will get behind ball and prevent it from opening. Try to flush out so ball will depress a little . If wont move you can knock it out from the top with a small punch.

  6. #6Larryv2021-02-22 23:24
  7. #7Larryv2021-02-22 23:26

    Oops. Not the inlet line but the return line in top cover of pump.

  8. #8Larryv2021-02-22 23:33

    What happens is the return line blocks flow of fuel and pressurizes the pump and it will shut down. Usually in this case the eng will start and run for a few seconds and shut off again. If it wont restart at all, could have broken drive shaft. Let me know and I can explain how to check cor for that

  9. #9grt_580b2021-02-23 10:19

    Mine is just an elbow on the return line there's no check in it. I've tried taking it completely off and cranking it and no fuel comes out at all...

  10. #10Larryv2021-02-23 10:42

    Loosen screws on inspection window on side of pump. Remove top screw and rotate cover out of way. Inside are 2 discs, front disc driven by eng. While viewing discs, turn over eng and see if front disc rotates. This will rule out mechanical failure.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2021-02-23 14:19

    U can also remove the INLET FITTING.. fill the pump INLET w fuel up to the top.. Spin the engine.. if the fuel is still there, u have a serious mechanical failure.. If it’s gone, there’s still hope..

  12. #12grt_580b2021-02-23 19:42

    Already checked that the pump is turning so not mech failure...

  13. #13grt_580b2021-02-23 19:45

    I haven't tried manually putting fuel in the inlet I'll try that next

  14. #14Dave Neubert2021-02-26 17:41

    Did you ever check to see if you have power to the fuel solenoid on the pump

  15. #15Bluox2021-02-26 20:55

    Kinda drought that tractor has a solenoid. Butt I guess it wouldn't hurt to make sure the fuel shutoff lever is all the way ahead. Bob

  16. #16stinky642021-02-27 01:43

    I don't know if I'm mistaken, but I could swear that I read somewhere, don't know if it was here ,in some manual or some place else about not letting your power steering reservoir run dry or it could maybe snap the skinny part of the fuel pump drive shaft, so I'm very aware of the steering juice level..May be mistaken, but that sticks in my noggin and ironically you were bleeding the steering system when failure happened...Are you sure the pump is turning? Just a thought...Pumpguy am I crazy?

  17. #17thepumpguysc2021-02-27 09:39

    I never heard of such.. but.. u/they gotta know/find out if it is turning.. Easiest way I know of is fill the inlet w fuel.(take off 90* fitting) & crank the engine.. if the internals are moving, it’ll suck the fuel down.. If the pump is seized, the fuel will stay put..

  18. #18stinky642021-02-27 17:06

    Maybe it had to with the p/s pump stopping abruptly may cause damage to inj. pump shaft...damn now I have to find it..

  19. #19grt_580b2021-02-28 16:53

    You are correct there is no solenoid and the shut of lever/choke is all the way foreward

  20. #20grt_580b2021-02-28 16:55

    I was actually done with the p/s bleeding and it was just ideling while I picked up my tools and such when it died