Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 B no transmission power/ low pressure

garonimo ยท 2013-10-01 15:55

Hey, newbee here, I bought a Case 580 b a few weeks ago- worked good when I tested it- stopped working when I got it home. Trouble-power shuttle, no 1st gear, second gear strong when first cranked, 3rd and 4th okay but lacking. After a few minutes of warming up it loses power. After I lose power I can turn it off and right back on and power returns for a few minutes. I don't know if it's a pump, clog, or clutch pack. It also makes a shrilling high pitched noise when the power stops- almost like an air leak- but I can't tell from what. Here's what I've done so far: Replaced watery fluid twice, rep hydro filter, cleaned torque tube screen, rep valve assy and pump with used parts, bypassed cooler to see if there was a change. What I'm wondering is: can a bad clutch cause low pressure or does low pressure cause no clutch? It's better after changing the fluid but still nowhere near where it should be. Any suggestions would be great- thanks, Gary

Replies1
  1. #1wi4x4man2013-10-01 17:07

    Had something similar happen with my 580B about 12 years ago. It turned out to be the clutch packs. There was a lot of water in the oil on mine as well. Pretty soon gears started dropping out (though 1st gear was the last to go) because of no power. Eventually all I had was reverse and even then it eventually died. AFter a lot of work splitting the machine and replacing the clutches including the gear set on the pack, it was as strong as can be. Now I am just fighting a busted ring gear. :Banghead