I've been offered an old Case 580 CK - model 33 - $500.00 - $1000.00 It's been sitting parked for a number of years. The block is cracked - see pictures. He put some kind of epoxy over the crack and kept running it until he didn't. Says it leaked a lot of water. I checked the oil/dipstick - no water that I could see. I chipped off some of the "epoxy" around the "crack" and it appears that the block has a horizontal crack along the left side/centre. Can this kind of crack be fixed or will I need a new block? I opened the gear box covers - the oil was clean and the gears had no missing teeth or noticeable chips/wear. Non of the linkages are seized. Everything still seems to move. The tires are shot. The bushings/pins are not tight. The hydraulic hoses will probably require replacing soon - what is the approximate cost for all new hoses? He says the brakes require fixing - what would be the cost for brake kits? The hydraulic cylinders look to be pretty clean. A couple of them have some very light corrosion that scrapes off with a fingernail. I can do most of the repairs myself - it comes with a service manual. I realize this might be the tip of he iceberg, but I need a machine and there aren't a lot around for a decent price. Am I out of my mind? Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Depends where you are located and if there are any other parts available close by. Expect to spend a lot to get something like that into decent safe working condition. Mine is a runner, not beat up badly but we still but over $5000 in parts into it over the years. Pins, bushings and some bits are Case only. Much can be found after market as Ag tractors had common parts. Blocks or complete T/O running can be found. Can you do the work yourself? If you want a project, consider it a 'parts' machine and go from there. If you want a working machine now, look further. The crack in the block runs along the bottom of the water jacket on the 188 and should be considered terminal. It may run for a bit but is done. They are becoming difficult to find and many were replaced with the 207. The experts will chime in and add their advice. Jess
Thanks for this Jess, I have a lead on another engine and possibly two. It's good to know (sort of) that the block is pooched. I won't waste any time trying to weld/fix it. I can do the work myself until it requires machining or specialized tools for measuring tolerances etc. I'm up in the Pacific coast of Canada. Can you tell me more about the 207 replacement you suggest? Is it a newer motor? Diesel? Is it a drop in or will modifications be required? Much appreciated! a
You most likely have a 207D. Take a look at this web page. If it isn't the right model do a search for the one you have. http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49912ag42693
Thanks. The cracked motor in it is a 188.
The 207D will replace the 188D in your application. Look at the link that Tinkerer posted to get an idea what a major overhaul parts kit will run, and check in B.C. There is a rebuildable 207D on Craigs List in Surrey under Heavy Equipment for $800 today. You would do well to be sure that the block is good on anything before going ahead and spending any money on parts. There is a salvage place in Idaho that has listed 580CKs for parts, with and without running engines. I can't locate the link, but you could search for it if nobody else provides it here. I'm on central Vancouver Island and if you go ahead with this, may be able to point you to some experience. A manual is invaluable, and the parts manual is available on the Case web site somewhere. Jess
Hey Jess, Thanks for this. I'll check it all out. I'd sure like to know the magic method of inspecting an uninstalled engine that isn't hooked up and can't be started... Cheers,
I had awesome luck buying some used (no longer produced) parts from Hagan Tractor in Oklahoma for my 580b.
Hagen Tractor is alive and well. I purchased some parts from them not long ago. http://www.hagantractorparts.com/