I am in the middle of putting the left front spindle back together on my 1968 580ck. Put the top and bottom thrust bearing washers on with the bevels facing each other and the bearing sandwiched in between. Thinking it kept the load "centered" on the inner and outer races but "a grease pocket" is just as good of an idea. (And maybe it doesn't really matter.) Certainly better now than the metal on metal that was going on when I took delivery. I realized now I should check to insure the top washer is against the housing and not riding on the bottom of the lower needle bearing. If it is (due to the chewed up housing bottom) should I add a large washer from Ace or flip the top bearing washer over to take advantage of the bevel? Also I am only doing one side and a pair of oil seals to top it off is $50+ with shipping! Does anyone have a corresponding part number for one oil seal (from CASE or other??), would some neoprene drilled/cut to fit do the job, or does anyone have an oil seal they would like to sell? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to HEF, art y ! Posting the part number will help you get some responses. Do you have/ or need the service manual ? Posting the same question in two different threads causes confusion and limits the responses you will get.
The part number from my parts catalog is A 27754. Thank you for asking. The schematic doesn't show which way the thrust washers go (nor does the shop manual). The right front looks great and I have to assume it's not the original bearings, washers, etc. It's probably not worth taking it apart to copy the last guy/gal who worked on the front end. Who knows if they did it right. Although I would like to contact them to ask after the extra oil seal. lol.
UPDATE: Found a single oil seal at Southeastern Equipment. I have until it arrives to think about how the bearing washers should go. Thanks
I did a quick internet search and those seals are available from quite a few vendors.Big price variation in them. Are you sure you have the correct thrust washers ? I looked in the service manual, and as you said there is no mention of a beveled thrust washer. A picture of one would help you get some advice on them. I'm trying to understand why a thrust washer on a king pin would be beveled. I ran a 580CK in the early 1970's, but never worked on the king pins.
Most of the vendors required you to buy two seals or were found out of stock after a few links. As to the thrust washers, the part numbers on the bag matched the parts book. Here's the schematic showing the spindle etc al. (The old washers were gone and the bearing, well, bare )