Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580, cummins problem

jazz ยท 2005-03-17 15:08

I have an 1986 580k backhoe with a none turbo cummins. the problem is when the hoe sits for a while not running it wont start unless you give it full throttle, like the fuel pressure has bled down.But if it only sits for a little while it will start as normal. I need to fix the problem because cold starts are hard on the engine having to start it full throttle! I see no leaks on fuel system. Could it be a solenoid? Thanks for any help Jazz.......

Replies3
  1. #1John DiMartino2005-03-17 15:28

    It sounds like you have a fuel line leaking,did you check the return line real good.A leak there may not show up,but it will suck enough air while its not running a few days to lose prime.Id look there first.If you have a manual primer hit it a few times before you crank it up,it should start easier.

  2. #2jazz2005-03-17 15:53

    case hoe thanks for the reply, I have not looked over the return line very well, but Its not a few days more like an hour or less. I did try the prime on the manual fuel pump , but that did not help at all. thanks for your time! Jazz.

  3. #3will_gurt2005-03-17 17:06

    John Demartino has a valid point about the return line. Check it out! as for the the primer pump, It could be bad too.