My 580 D Loader has the right brake pads oil soaked. I was able to take off the brake housing and the differential lock cover, and remove the brake pads and the actuating brake disc. I am not sure if the oil is coming out of the seal in the brake housing or is actually coming from the oil seal on the cross shaft that engages with the differential lock. I have attempted to pull out the brake housing, but failed, not having enough room to get her off the cross shaft?? Can anyone give me some hints on what I need to do to replace the seal, and what about the seal on the cross shaft, looks like I need to take the whole transaxle down and out to replace that seal. Also, when I took the Brake housing apart it was filled with a grease like material. The hole in the bottom of the brake housing could of been plugged and the oil has been collecting there for a long time and the grease is the oil combined with the wear off the brake pads, so a question I have is if the cross shaft seal is leaking won't the oil just drain out of the hole if its open and not affect the brakes??? I'm confused??? there does not seem to be any way to luburcate the differential lock assembly in the brake housing other than leakage past the cross shaft seal???? I am stumped? Don
Welcome starshiphi! The side gear seals can be replaced without removing the carriers. You need to drill a couple of holes & fit a self tapping screw in them & pull them out. The diff lock seal can also be replaced with dismantling, with the aid of a tool that you can make. You can also install a second seal on top of the other - easiest option. This thread discusses similar set up to yours, with pics of tool - Re the diff lock lube - not required! You pull the brakes apart so often to repair them & lube the splines with anti-seize TIP - the brakes work best while clean & dry (obviously) - involves opening them up from time to time & safely removing dust & even deglazing the actuators
Thank You for your reply, I have already tried to remove the brake housing, but could not tilt it off the cross shaft, not enough room, one thread suggested that to lift the frame up an inch to slide it off, Ouch, those rear nuts are torqued to 300 pounds? so what you are saying is to leave the brake housing in place and tap a couple of screws from the outside???? I suppose you could get a right angle drill in there, not a lot of room???? and pull the seal out from the outside? Is this what I understand?? or is there a way to remove the brake housing???? Thank you for the information about sliding a second seal on the cross shaft, that will save a lot of work. Don
Thats right Don, leave the carriers/brake housings attatched & get those seals out. Yes, you will need to lower the transaxle if you want to remove the housing.
help me alrman I am trying your suggestion and have drilled now 6 holes and put in 6 self tapping screws and the seal is in real tight that the screws pull out of the metal. any chance they glued the seal in?? The Case Manuel mentions using permatex No. 1 to install the seals?? now wondering how to figure away to pry the seal out of the hole, would have any more Ideas??? Thank You Don Santa Cruz