I'm changing the transmisín fluid and spin on filter on this Case 580 l series 2 , 2 wheel drive with Carrera transmissîon. Forgive my spelling. Is there a secret to getting the filter off? It's in a most inaccessible spot. Do I need to hold my tongue a certain way. Any suggestions welcome
I have a SM same thing, it can be done. I did it from the top, not fun.
On my John Deere it takes a strap wrench to get it off.
The Operators manual advises to not use a strap wrench on the filter.
It recommends to not INSTALL the filter with a strap wrench. I would never do that. OP was asking how to get it off.
Make sure the seal from the old filter came off with the filter and be sure to lube the new seal.
Thank you for the tips. Once I realized I could access the filter by lifting the hood and pulling aside the rubber "wall", it was a walk in the park. This forum and it's members have been a lifesaver.
Very true and I agree. My post and image was not directed at you. We need to keep in mind there are new members reading what we post and may not how to correctly use a strap wrench. When I ran a service truck there were too many times I had to drive a big a## screwdrive all the way thru a filter to get it off because some unknowing gorrila over tightened it. That would be after the filter can had collapsed from using my strap wrench. Incidentally, Caterpillar branded woven fabric strap wrenches are far superior to any others that used.
Yes, I have a Snap On one that is woven fabric. In the old days, I also would drive a screwdriver through the filter. I was also pretty good at driving a pour spout down on an oil can.