Serviced whole machine today and the trans came out looking like a milkshake. I will probably do another drain and fill soon but would like to find source of contamination. The boot around the shifter looked ok are there any other common places to look for or known problems? thanks Don
I am having the same problem with my series II 580L. I changed the oil and filter but the oil is still milky after running as you can`t get all of it out . Wondering what to do next?
Must not be that common of a problem, I guess I'll change again and see what happens
Definately not a common problem as I have more of these in my service area than I can mention. I would change it out using only HTU from Case and redo it after a couple hundred hours, I would double check the boot and inspect the breather. It could be condensation formed on the castings in the cold weather, just an idea if you live in a cold climate. We use nothing but Case lube products and just don't see that problem. Mel
Hmmmm...unless you have been driving through really deep water i would think your cooler is leaking? If this is the case i would think some oil would be in the radiator? Maybe not though. Have been having to add water to the system? The 4x4 and rear output seals will seep water into trans as well as the shifter on top. The front pump seal can do it also. The most likely places are the 4x4 yoke seal or radiator/oil cooler though. The 4x4 yoke is pretty low to ground?
huh, did notice oil seepage from rear output and we do have our fare share of large puddles
The L does not have an oil to water cooler, it is a oil to air front mounted cooler in front of the radiator and is two sectioned one for the trans cooling and the other for hydraulic oil cooling, any leakage will be external and I have replaced a few. the other ideas are valid and should be explored. Large puddles, are you running water up to the cab steps, to submerge the drive yokes would require just about that deep, you may but most would not do that on a regular basis. Mel
Well in that case there is no way it is from the cooler. Lol. Both them yoke seals are easy to change. Probly should do both of 'em while your there. There is a breather on top of the transmission. Hard to believe it is getting in there or through the shift shaft?