OK, so I managed to change the signal stalk, but the weirdness continues. Horn works, no driving lights, when the blinker switch is all the way up, there is a clicking like the blinker is on, but the lights do not blink. Center position and down position both give me right blinker. New signal stalk, what else could it be? Blinker relay?
The 580M I ran before would do the same thing every so often. Unfortunetly I never knew why. The problem was fixed by trading it in.... The machine had a few strange electrical problems.
Changed the blinker relay, and I now have the blinkers working correctly and my 4 way flashers work. The driving lights still do not work properly. When I pull back on the stalk to turn them on, the green driving light symbol comes on in the right console, but no lights. I know the bulbs are OK. Front work lights work OK, so now I guess I have to meter out where the power stops. Wish I knew which power relay feed them, guess I could swap the two power relays and see if it makes a difference. Previous owner never used the driving lights so he can not shed any light on the matter (pun intended), not sure when they even worked last.
Thought I would include a pic of the machine.
580 m Nice machine you have there. Mine's indentical, and a little bit newer but that doesn't matter cause they all do the same job. That's what I love about case. Good luck Oz 06 580 sm pilots
Overall, it's a nice machine, lots more comfortable than the 1986 580K I had, just lots of little warts to work out. I think the previous owner was pretty good at keeping up with grease oil and fluid changes, but that is it. Any other quirk that popped up was just tolerated. It loaded a lot of road salt, which accounts for the rust on the front of the machine, but everything else is in great shape for the year.
Hey Ya I here ya about the comforbility in those machines. I've had 4 backhoes in my family. Just traded last year for a 06 580sm with pilots-best thing a manuufacturer can offer. The old machine had only 5000hrs on her and that took 24yrs to put on. It was made in 86' and she was a 580e construction king. It was a great machine. When I got the 06' It had all the bells and whistles, with 4400hrs on it. I'll get a super n though in five yrs time and then I'll be in the big leagues. 0z 06' 580 sm pilots
Funny you say that about the pilots, when my boss and I went to the dealer to check out the N's the sales guys busted my chops tellin me to get with the times. They were surprised a 23yr wanted 4 stick. I like pilots but prefer 4stick, especially for the work I do.
Anyone have an electrical schematic for a 580M? Preferably a series 1 with an enclosed cab? I am trying to find a service manual to buy, but no luck yet.
pilots Ya I here what your saying. The backhoe that my company that I work for was a 4 stick. Every time I used it for a long time my hands got numb because of the knobs on the sticks. They were a total pain in the ass. I wouldn't go back to 4 stick. Pilots control is like playing a video game. I also find to that you get more swing power to with pilots but that's me.