Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580 rear seal install

sport20 ยท 2011-08-16 23:59

ok just bought rear seal and wear sleeve for my 580 case . thats all that came in the kit. i was expecting an install ring to help install the seal to right depth. any ideas on where to get one or try and install without it?

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2011-08-17 19:18

    Where did you get the kit from? I must admit I haven't bought a rear wear sleeve kit for a while, But I just checked a front wear sleeve kit I have in stock & it doesn't have the installation tool either :beatsme It does however have the plastic guide sleeve for the seal, which it would be near impossible to fit the seal without. I am a hoarder though & I keep the installation tools from previous fittings, so I have tools to do the job I hope you have the plastic guide to fit the seal. Measure how deep your existing seal is sitting in the seal retainer on your engine to confirm - but this tool has a step of about .300". I don't think the depth is critical, the seal just needs to sit evenly. You may need to have a fitting tool fabricated.

  2. #2sport202011-08-18 12:35

    no this kit only has the wear sleeve and seal. got it at case dealership in edmonton alberte. part#A77810

  3. #3alrman2011-08-19 05:13

    Not sure what where you need to go on this sport20 - What do the dealers have to say, had the package been opened? Can you buy the installation tools??? Seems funny they used to sell the kits with everything you needed to do the job & now give you nothing?? :beatsme Have you tried speaking to a Cummins Dealer & see what they supply in a kit?

  4. #4sport202011-08-19 10:34

    the seal is already on the wear sleeve. from what i can find out it is to be installed as one unit. do that sound right? thanks

  5. #5alrman2011-08-19 17:26

    That sleeve is quite a tight fit on to the crank. Just fitting it on it's own, without damaging it, is a bit of a challenge. Trying to do it with the seal on it ...... well, I wouldn't like to do it, without the tool........ All the kits I have fitted in the past have always had the installation tools with them. Case must expect everyone to have a CAS 2355 installation tool now.

  6. #6Iron@Dirt2011-08-19 20:59

    Case International ag tractor seals now come without install tool also (they never came with sleeve install tool). With out some kind of install tool its going to be tough to get the sleeve in with out damaging it. You could put the seal at a different depth, but takes a different seal to go with out sleeve.

  7. #7Iron@Dirt2011-08-19 21:03

    Forgot to mention dontnt get any oil or grease on seal surface, install dry, keep clean. Its supposed to have a film that heats up and melts when you start it up.