Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580 SE backhoe. arm wont swing fully right?

tk44 ยท 2014-07-24 13:37

the backhoe arm will not swing right as far as it should stops hard about 2 foot short of where it should.. arm goes fully left. smooth the whole way until it stops. replaced upper and lower pins.. and new right swing cylinder. new hoses. if you take the pin on the end of the left swing rod out the arm will make it fully right as it should? is it a dead left swing cylinder holding it back? what confused me is I took the top pin out at the beginning it was wore down. looks like nobody knew what grease was. flipped it 180 degrees around to where the lock nut hole was pointed backwards towards the operator.. knocked it back in and the thing swung right like it should? thought the pins were throwing it off or something but after new upper and lower pins back to square one! the man who owns it says he didn't notice it until after he changed the hoses.. they are all clear and not collapsed. hooked up right according to the manual..and the right swing cylinder was replaced because the rod had a bend in it. clearly visible. what woulda caused that? hydro locking can bend them I know. any help appreciated ive been in diesel mechanic school for 5 months now so just trying to learn all I can.. can fix anything just don't have the diagnosing part down yet haha

Replies8
  1. #1sheepfoot2014-07-24 21:47

    I would first do a linkage check to see if it's moving the spool the same distance. Check the end cap for that spool to see if it's tight.Then I would pull the gland and piston out of the cylinder and check for a loose piston bolt, spring broken, plunger bent or broken. When you reach the end of the stroke, the plunger relieves allowing it to slow and not slam hard to a stop.

  2. #2mitch5042014-07-24 22:50

    Sheepfoot, does an SE have the cam, roller and linkage that slows the swing at the end, like an SK does? It sounds like that may be sticking, if it does.

  3. #3sheepfoot2014-07-24 23:27

    Mitch504, when I read his post I started to ask if he had a 580k or sk, The change to the swing system started with the phase 1 580K, the 580,B,C,D,E, all had the old style with out the cam plate/roller/SCV assembly. So I will also ask now if the backhoe has 1 backhoe boom cylinder or 2 backhoe boom cylinders?.

  4. #4tk442014-07-25 13:58

    Yea it is the old style. No linkages or cam rollers. And it has 1 boom cylinder. I'm thinking the left cylinder is bad. Just confused as to why it would swing right fully with the top pin turned backwards

  5. #5sheepfoot2014-07-25 17:32

    Ok now I am confused, are we working on a 480 machine with a 33 hoe, or a old 580 with a 33 hoe ? A 33 hoe has 1 boom cylinder off to the side, 35 hoes have 2 equal boom cylinders, and the 580k and newer have a large boom cylinder.

  6. #6tk442014-07-29 07:10

    I took a few days off but I got confused workin on 3 different ones. It has 2 boom cylinders. Tore the left cylinder down this mornin and it looks fine no bent rod bolt was tight. Only other thing I can think of is control valve?

  7. #7tk442014-07-29 07:23

    . That is the right cylinder. Brand new from Brazil

  8. #8lantraxco2014-07-30 01:36

    You're that far into it, try swapping the right and left swing cylinders, see what happens. According to the parts book I'm looking at they're supposed to be two of the same cylinder.