Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 SE fuel sender, rebuild or replace

Birdseye · 2021-07-12 14:37

Fellas, The one gauge I am determined to have working is my fuel level gauge but the Case supply is discontinued so I have to go either aftermarket for a similar replacement unit or get the nichrome wire and attempt the tedious process of rewinding the resistance wire which is broken. I can measure the following resistance before I get to the broken wire spot: Empty tank = 4-5 ohms Tank 45% full =30 ohms Has anyone bought a aftermarket sender they recommend ? Or has anyone had luck rewinding the resistance wire? Thanks !

Replies14
  1. #1rodcap2021-07-12 15:55

    How about a adjustable fuel sender with gauge? https://bwparts.com/oil-pressure-gauge-and-sending-unit-generic.html https://bwparts.com/oil-pressure-gauge-and-sending-unit-generic.html

  2. #2Birdseye2021-07-15 22:19

    Ok , I got one very similar to that, I used my oem float since it seem more robust. Doesn’t seem to be any rust proofing on any of the metal. it’s probably not a good idea to paint any of it lest the paint peel and contaminate the fuel. This should work fine for 5 years at least.

  3. #3DaveA2021-07-22 13:04

    Erickson truck in Minnasoda Has a 580E they are parting out. they might have one

  4. #4HarleyHappy2023-10-28 15:41

    He Birdseye, where did you get that fuel sender and what was it for and how is it still working? Also how did it pair to your OEM gauge? Thanks AlanD

  5. #556wrench2023-10-29 11:42

    Check to see if Stewart-Warner makes an adjustable sender with the right bolt pattern and the long arm that you trim to the correct length. Availability should be at most part stores or online

  6. #6HarleyHappy2023-10-30 08:51

    That’s easier said than done. Lol Have spent a few hours searching. There are a couple that I think I could use but no specs on hole size or bolt spacing. Will take it back out and take a better look at it, gauge seems to be working but sender not sending lol.

  7. #71693TA2023-10-30 09:17

    I've used several of these from this vendor over the years. The one in my 1845C is one of them. 33-240 ohm is the Stewart-Warner value you are looking for from what I've found with JI Case products. Fuel level sender sending unit, 6”- 24” adjustable, all ranges | eBay 6”- 24” height and swing arm adjustable. Need more advanced fuel sender?. check our laser fuel sender New fuel level sender. Use the 90 degree arm end to insert to resistor board hole as center pin. www.ebay.com

  8. #8HarleyHappy2023-10-30 09:56

    Thank you.

  9. #91693TA2023-10-30 10:39

    I built a little box with a precision 0-500 ohm wire wound resistor, test jacks, and a 12VDC battery used in a garage door remote. This allows to test all gauges from the sending unit with a multimeter using jumper leads for connections.

  10. #10HarleyHappy2023-10-30 12:50

    I have already tested the gauge with a resistor at the sending unit but unfortunately the wand at the rheostat is completely missing. Thank you for your help.

  11. #11Birdseye2023-11-13 18:01

    I bought the "Equus 9982 GM Fuel Level Sender" from Amazon for about $25. It works just ok but not perfectly. Its better than nothing because now the fuel gauge moves but its not very accurate. I still have a special thin strip of white oak that is my manual fuel guage for when I really need to know what the level is ! I could probably calibrate this guage if i had some little dial resisters to put in-line with the lead wire to the guage.

  12. #12HarleyHappy2023-11-14 08:36

    I used the one that 1693TA recommended and just had to flip the rheostat, it was backwards. Painless and easy. Did have to take it in and out a couple of times to get it adjusted right. Now I’m chasing a bad ground that’s killing all my gauges when I turn on front spots. Thinking that burned up relay that i replaced is giving me trouble again. This time I’m taking seat completely out to get under dash. Lol

  13. #13Tinkerer2023-11-14 09:13

    The OEM sending unit can be purchased at any CNH or Case Construction dealership. LINK TO IT

  14. #14Birdseye2023-11-14 16:36

    I like that idea , can you send us a picture of your setup and where did you get the parts ?