Recently noticed lack of power in reverse pulling out of a hole. Did stall test and in forward revs almost to high rpm but in reverse only to about 1500. What exactly am I looking at for a job and how long can it run like this. Thank you for your input.
Start with the easy stuff first.. Check that the throttle on the pump is hitting the stop screws, both at hi n low idles.. IDK squat about the shuttle so can’t help ya there..
confused here, do you think the transmission is slipping in reverse even though it stalls the engine out lower than forward? What do you know about the 580 already and who told you that? How long have you had it and what's the history of the problem? Did it blow black/dark/visible smoke in fwd or rev when you did your stall test?
If reverse has that much load during a stall test - it indicates that the torque converter is at fault - it's not allowing enough slip, due to a bad sprag. The fact that forward has very little load on the engine indicates that the forward clutch pack in the power shuttle IS slipping & probably needs replacing - due to being operated with the bad converter, which isn't allowing the before mentioned, enough slip ........ Time to loosen the purse strings......
Thanks for the replies. Throttle stop is fine and it does not load up in fuel at all just literally has less tourqe in reverse does awesome in forward. It’s like the tourqe converter is locking up and won’t allow rpms to go up. Realize it needs to be fixed just not in the near future I hope as all free time spending hunting lol.
Haven’t had the machine long bought it for 660’ long driveway as building house on family land. Have runs machines forever but never worked on them or owned one. Realize it’s an old machine but will do whatever it takes to keep it running and always take excellent care of anything I have.
This is the only issue I see that could be pointing to an engine power issue instead of a transmission/tc issue. I'd expect at full load 1,500 RPM that you'd see some smoke, even if it's just the lightest grey. Alrman has forgot more in a day about Case's than I'll ever know, so I'm not arguing with his diagnosis, just suggesting you start with the simplest, and that is fuel to me. How long can you run it? a while if you don't let it slip, that is low enough gear that you don't slip the trans. Or it could blow up tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply. Problem with fuel idea is not loading up when rpms drop down. It does have light blue smoke when idling but just suspect worn rings as it has 7 k in hours. It has almost full rpms in forward and will spin the tires in 2 nd gear in a pile. Seems like a decent machine for the age. Already replaced all steering hardware still need to do the seals on both steering cylinders and a bunch of others. Still need to keep running as it’s a needed machine and will rot in a field after I’m dead. Lol Suspect I need to put 1 k in tranny rebuild and converter.
When my 580SE belonged to my neighbor, it got to the point that it would barely climb the gentle slope up his driveway. Full rpm was there, either direction. And then, every now and then it seemed to be okay. Shuttle fluid was full, but surely not new. When we pulled it down, we found worn clutches and the converter stator literally busted into pieces. I do not know how it moved at all. It is a real tractor now, pulls good.
I don't know exactly what you mean by "not loading up". To me that sounds like the engine is not lugging, or getting full power. You know how this thing feels, I'll never know what's happening from words. I'm not doubting the tc diagnosis, just that I'd want to confirm the engine side before splitting it.
Thanks again for the replies. When I say not loading up I mean that even though I do not get full rpms in reverse backing up a steep grade or in the stall test with the pedal to the floor when you let off or break free raw un burnt doesn’t come pouring out of exhaust. To be honest I have literally looked at the ground when this happens as it feels like the machine is in quicksand and will not throttle all the way up and move. I have gone through fuel system and throttle linkages Granted at the moment I can drop it into first and crawl out so it seems okay for the moment but expect to have to split sooner or later. Not tilting windmills here just concerned for future damage Thanks