Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 side shift carriage ram

Aussiemac · 2025-08-25 04:21

Hi all, is there a trick to removing the carriage rams on a side shift model? Surely you don’t have to pull the carriage off to get them out? I can turn it but can’t pull it or lever it out. For the moment I’ve got it disconnected until I work it out. Is there much to resealing them?

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2025-08-26 06:02

    It should withdraw after you pull the bolts. What has happened is the cylinder has been rubbing on the sideshift frame & will have a little knurl on the O/D stopping it coming out. I have used a hand pump to pressurise the cylinder with success, but that would depend on how much leakage it has. Otherwise drive thin steel wedges between the cylinder ears & slowly make them thicker.

  2. #2Aussiemac2025-08-26 06:07

    Thanks mate. Yeah I was trying to wedge them out with thin chisels, might try with a couple small fox wedges. Very tight to spin it, you can spin using stilssons and a hammer so I dunno how tight it’s going to be. In the event I can get it out, you wouldn’t have a seal kit on your website? I see complete pistons there.