Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 SK cranks but won’t start.

red lloyd ยท 2020-06-21 17:36

Hello folks, My 580 sk started shutting down when it would hit a hard bump. For the most part it would start back up. Yesterday I was using the hoe and when I was shaking the bucket empty the tractor died. I was able to get the engine to turn over using starter fluid but not to run. I changed out the fuel filter and bled the lines thinking it might have been some debris that broke loose. I've crawled around looking for a loose wire and not found anything. Is there a switch I'm missing? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Willie B2020-06-21 20:10

    These tractors have a vulnerable electrical system. They have numerous plugs under the floor where all the water drips. As you own a 580 one wire after another will fail. You need a schematic of the system. Mine is maybe 25 pages with all the variations possible. Most cases you have a failed wire. Start at the electric valve supplying the injector pump. Look for power when you should have power. I've had just the crimp terminal loose. If the wire doesn't supply Battery positive, check at each connection in that wire. I have schematics for early (pre 1989) versions.

  2. #2red lloyd2020-06-21 21:05

    Thanks! I have the books. I was hoping to short form this and get the tractor out of the trench I was digging with it. I figure with these old girls I'm not the first person to experience the problem. When I replaced the rear end I cleaned up the wiring. Looks like I'll be chasing a short...

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-06-21 22:33

    Welcome to HEF, Red ! Check the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injection pump for 12 volts with the ignition switch in the on (run) position. Might be a loose connection or even a damaged wire on it. #17 below.

  4. #4Delmer2020-06-21 23:27

    If you don't have 12V at the injection pump, run a wire from the battery to the injection pump to get it started in a pinch. And you're looking for a break in the circuit (OPEN circuit) not a short, if you had a short, then you'd blow a fuse or be watching a fire burn out. And starting fluid helps an engine fire, the starter turns it over.