Started fine this morning (block heater really helps). When lifting the stabilizers it stalled out. I thought it was just because it was cold. Restarted fine and drove it for 3 minutes to work site. Hydraulics use caused unusual intermittent drop in RPM then within a few minutes it stalled out when using boom/bucket. Re-started once and it stalled out fast. Walked away for fear of further damage. All the fluids were replaced this summer w/new filters - levels still up. Fuel is full. No steam, leaks or overheating. Odd smell coming from engine. Not oil burning, more like antifreeze, but not exactly. Couldn't figure out the source. Does anyone know where I should start? Thank, I appreciate it.
Even though you changed fluids and filters doesn't mean all moisture was out of system and may be freezing up. What did the hyd. fluid and filter look like before the change and more importantly what does fluid look like now? Is it at all milky looking? Due to the fact you're in Michigan and it ain't exactly tropical there right now that's where I would start. Can you get that machine into a warm spot to see if that alleviates the issue? If that odd smell is electrical should probably find it before expensive failure. If it smells burnt pee or burnt meat like probably critters in the perimeter.
Fuel jelled in filter ?
Thanks! As usual, I'm an idiot... I did NOT change the fuel filter when I did the rest of the fluids and filters... That must be it. I'll get on it in the daylight and get back to you all... thank you!!!
The inline filter is critical.
I realize all filters are kinda critical, but why do you specify the in-line one? Thanks, I appreciate it.
Ok, so I got new filters (in-line and canister). The old filter was nothing short of disgusting, and frankly embarrassing. Sludge, weird red water - terrible! Ya think that was my problem??? Like I said above - I'm an idiot. I remember now, when I replaced "all" the filters and fluids in the fall, they didn't have the fuel filters in stock so I put it out of my head... til now. Thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate being able to come here. Cheers!!!
The in-line filter is the first one to begin the filtering process when the fuel leaves the tank. It is small and will plug quite quickly if there is much crap in the tank. It would be good to have a spare at all times. Most of them are directional --- meaning the fuel needs to flow the way the arrow on the filter points .
Thanks.
Ok, so all new filters this morning and it started up strong. I let it warm up and although the engine sounds much better (assuming better fuel flow) it is not throttling up. When I depress the throttle it struggles/misses a bit then doesn't increase power/revs. Same goes for using the hydraulics. It's still stalking out under load. Could it be a bad/clogged injector from all that crap in the fuel? What path should I follow to diagnose? Thank again.
Try working the throttle by hand AT THE INJ PUMP. Have a look at the return overflow valve.. it’s the banjo bolt on the top cover.. it has an orifice in it.. use some brake cleaner with its straw to blow thru it.. DO NOT stick anything in the orifice.. use the brake cleaner and a rubber tipped air gun to clean it.. Good luck
On it, will advise, thanks!
I tried working the the throttle by hand this morning with no difference. I cleaned out the overflow as suggested by thepumpguysc. I took the supply lines off an cleaned them. With the supply lines out I could see sludge in the furthest back opening (of the 3), there was also a filter and spring assembly in there. I took it all out and cleaned it carefully, and put it all back together. I ran a can of Seafoam through the canister filter and let it sit after running it through for a couple of minutes. I'm not entirely sure what I did, but after waiting 20 minutes for the Seafoam to do its thing, it started up and throttled up. It's still running a bit rough but hopefully that'll clear itself up...? I'm really surprised I haven't done more damage given the sludge that was running through the system, or am I?
Just keep an eye on it and change the filter at the slightest hint of slowing down..
If you suspect the sludge in your tank was algae like stuff some power service bio-kleen in the tank may help.
Will do, thanks.
I just put some white bottle Power Service in because I’m reasonably sure I still have summer fuel in the tractor and I think my jugs still have summer fuel as I haven’t been using the hoe. No snow and still deer hunting. Lol I‘m a poet and don’t even know it. lol