I am looking at a Case 580SLE backhoe with 6000 genuine hours, now it has a problem that seems to be electrical but this is a real question for the mechanical blokes It has a shuttle shift transmission The problem is, on a hot day it has trouble shifting into FWD on a hot day, say round 40 Deg plus. It will shift into reverse no problems. It runs perfectly on a cooler day, and once warmed up you still won't notice anything. It has good pushing power, spins wheels with no effort, it will drive along the road at 40kph no problems for 40 + km. The only issue is the shift from reverse to fwd on a hot day. On a 40 deg day once you have it in gear it will run fine and push as hard as you like. I have looked at some of the other threads on this there are two solenoids on top of the transmission case, these have been replaced and it hasn't given any issues since, but it hasn't been tested on a hot day. One was found to be faulty. Is there any other solenoids i should be looking at? I am thinking that it might be a faulty coil that is on the very limit of resistance and when it really heats up, it cannot throw the valve. My testing idea is to use a heat gun and warm up the solenoids and see what changes there are? Its a great machine otherwise seems a shame to pass on such a great machine with a gremlin.
What I have found in the past is that the shuttle shift coils would either work or not work. Not saying that their resistance is not affected by heat, just never seen this problem on a shuttle shift before. However, I have had it happen on powershift models. But, that is a completely different type of setup. How are you going to test this problem before you buy it? Heat gun may not be practical, but if it makes you feel better about the deal. Who wants to work when it's 40+degC anyhow............
What is the testing procedure for a powershift model Alrman ? I will be test driving it on Friday, comes with 5 digging buckets new tyres. Just have to be confident I can get a decent amount of work out of it and put a new transmission in it if required later on. I don't like working machines in heat like that but some days it has to be done
Is the powershift, yet another machine? or the same one with the problem?
It it could be a powershift machine as he wasn't explicit about which model just that it had four speeds. I guessed that he meant but it may be a powershift. I'm told10k or so for a rebuilt transmission.
Stall tests are carried out in 4th gear with brakes on. 2400 rpm no load - 2050rpm stalled. Main thing to look for is hesitation during gear selection cold & then operating temp. A bad powershift usually does not like to engage when cold. They have trouble pressurizing the clutch pack pistons, due to massive clearances caused by worn out plates. Re the 10K for a rebuild, it will depend who builds it for you..... a dealer price will easily bump 20K!
Cheers Alrman, I hope it really is good enough to last. It will be interesting if the two solenoids have fixed the problem as one was definately faulty. Or it could be dirt in the shuttle valves. Just thinking aloud here