Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580 super k brakes

mbavers ยท 2015-12-29 15:37

Before I start tearing up the floorboards: Loosing brake fluid. Have to fill master cylinder reservoir almost daily. Cannot see any leaks! Is this common enough to give me an idea of where to look? No outside leaks visible around master cylinder reservoir. I am trying to locate a service manual (paper only), but cannot get through to any dealer, even out of state! Is Case still in business??

Replies4
  1. #1mitch5042015-12-29 21:53

    The brake cylinders are inside the transaxle. Whatever you do, don't put brake fluid in it; even though some super K's left the factory with caps that said use DOT brake fluid. There WAS a label stuck on over it that said use Hy-Tran Ultra. When your brake cylinders start leaking, whatever fluid you use (Hydraulic oil if you can't get HTU or TCH) is going into your transaxle, torque convertor, and reverser. The clutches that make it move, and the brake linings are sorta sensitive and can be ruined easily. Now that I've scared you, let me depress you. If it is not a hose leaking, and you'd see oil running off the machine if it was, You are going to have to drop the transaxle. Ebay is your best bet to get a sK service manual, but Case is still in business, and the dealers are still there.

  2. #2mbavers2016-01-01 16:29

    Thanks for your input. I'm trying to find a brake system schematic. Will I be able to access/view the brake lines if I remove the floor panel? Since there are (I think) two separate brake systems (hence two pedals) I wonder where one leak could affect both. Seems unlikely that two different leaks would develop at the same time.

  3. #3bobbyblades2016-01-01 21:47

    theres a crossover tube at the master that equalizes pressure during braking when both pedals linked to make sure u get equal braking so i think if one side craps out you may lose fluid on both sides if you suspect any brake fluid used .dump transaxle oil is a must. 5 gal / when i pulled my brakes i had lots jellied oil in transcase .used a stick n rags to soak up gunk nasty i found out last owner used brake f both master and lowers shot close to 3 grand in parts alone to do a completer replace n repair easy repair got to any parts store online pull up parts page your model and you ll see how its set up

  4. #4mbavers2016-01-02 13:48

    Thanks. I will check it out. I have never used brake fluid but don't know about previous owner.