Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 super k: overheating power shuttle fluid

Mark Glick · 2024-03-14 11:41

The power shuttle/transmission oil gauge on my 580 sk has been going way up into the red zone, especially when driving in 3rd and 4th gear. Usually temp is alright when working in 1st and 2nd, but on really hot days, it sometimes gets past the red line, and when it does, it has a hard time coming back down. I tried blowing out the oil radiator, and that helped some, but I'm still having some trouble. Today I took the out the suction screen out, and found large pieces of broken metal. Could that be causing it to overheat? The screen was not dirty. Anyone with experience?

Replies6
  1. #1HarleyHappy2024-03-15 10:15

    That looks nasty. A shuttle rebuild is in your future, I feel. Thats my fortune cookie saying for today.

  2. #2Mark Glick2024-03-15 10:38

    Uh oh! Do I just keep going until it breaks? Thanks, Harley

  3. #3HarleyHappy2024-03-15 11:11

    Whelp, at this point your torque converter is filled with junk also. Myself, I would find a nice place to work on it and get it done. Because you can be sure, wherever it stops, it’s gonna be in the wrong spot. Lol You should have a separate oil cooler for the tranny up front. Make sure you clean ALL lines and cooler before you put back together.

  4. #4alrman2024-03-15 23:59

    Those are thrust washers for the hemesphere gears in the diff centre. They have had an update to a different shape to avoid them cracking at the locating crimped area. (see below) That spring is a mystery - out of the control valve for sure. You should not be operating the loader in 3rd or 4th - these gears are only for roading. If you are "operating" in those gears, the torque convertor will be in stall most of the time & the trans will overheat. If it spins the wheels in 1st or 2nd when pushing into a heap the shuttle is fine.

  5. #5Mark Glick2024-03-19 11:47

    Thanks, alrman! My backhoe will spin in 2nd gear if I disengage 4wd. Should it have the power to spin in 2nd gear with 4wd engaged? And yes, I only use 3rd and 4th for roading

  6. #6Mark Glick2024-03-19 11:49

    About the broken washers... Does that mean my diff is about to fall apart?