Any suggestions on fixing the pin holes in my rear backhoe bucket shanks?? The holes are worn large enough that the steel and rubber pins won't hold onto the teeth anymore. I am curently using 1/2 inch x 3 inch bolts and nuts to hold on the teeth. Is there a way to fix this with out buying new shanks and welding them in? Also thinking of welding the teeth to the shank any thoughts? Thanks
Possible Solution I have a 580 K with an aftermarket bucket quick coupler and I get my teeth from the Case dealer.....noticed there was an ad in a trade magazine for a "side-pin to top-lok conversion" that claimed to use the existing shanks....if you can't find it on the web then PM me at your convenience
I think you have answered your own question redneck1......
i use grade 8 bolts on my superk . havent lost a tooth in a long time trevor b
i just bought some grade 8 bolts going to put them on this morning. I will weld if i have to but only as a last resort. I will also check out those conversion teeth
Well the bolts did not work very well the corner tooth bolt broke the second scoop i took. Looks like i will have to build up the shanks a little with weld to make the teeth tighter and then weld the bolts in to prevent them from comming out.
If you can weld decent, you can try welding the holes a bit, then drilling them out to the proper size for the pins. Also, weld up the tips of the shanks so that the teeth fit better and do not stress the pins or bolts so much. You can weld the teeth on as a stopgap, and when they wear out, buy a new shank and fix it right. Shanks are pretty cheap, and a bit of gas and some rod will put the new ones on.
My thoughts as well Jerry. For all the time a man would spend attempting to repair worn out shanks, hardly worth it when new shanks are not that expensive. A little time with a gas ax and welder and you're back in business.