I have a Case 580 Super K that I've had for a while. It was running fine this morning, but this afternoon it wouldn't start and none of the gauges instruments have power . I started doing some diagnosis and I don't have any power going to the key switch. I do have power at the starter and alternator. Does anyone know if the power normally goes through the key switch and then on to the neutral switch or through the neutral switch first and then to the key switch? Thanks!
Hi there Scraper from sunny Australia; My 580SK did the same thing when I went to back out of its shed after a long Winter break. The system powered on ok and as soon as I hit to start, everything was dead except the rotating beacon on top. What I found was a fuse in the right wall below the gear shift, gave it a wiggle and suddenly all sprung to life. I added a little petroleum jelly (vaseline) to the fuse blades and it has been solid since that outage. This might not help you; So here is some basics from the Electrical area of a PH3 Super K (EU Production). Particularly the exciter line to the alternator is a good place to start looking for faults - as below.
Thanks for the info! From sunny New Jersey (at least today was sunny............) We figured out what was wrong. The feed wire from the starter comes up through the cab floor right near the fuse panel and attaches to some sort of relay or circuit breaker. Well, the wire end loops for the feed wire from the starter and another hot wire connected to it had corroded and snapped off. We touched them together, and everything worked again. I used this machine some in the past to load salt for our snow removal operations, so that probably didn't help the situation. Now I just need to find some wire end loops for the 6 gauge feed wire that have a hole to fit a #10 bolt through it - so, off to the auto parts store.
Great; I am glad you tracked it down, CASE haven't the best electrics and they can take a little caring for, salt though wow, that would be a nasty intruder. Good luck with the fix !
Case 580 sk will not turn over or even click. Full amperage at starter. Gauges work when key on, turn the key to start and nothing. Any ideas?
Check for 12 volts on the small wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. If you are getting 12 volts to it there is a problem with your starter.