I have a 1999 super l w/ no block heater. where does the block heater go and how big of a job is it to install it? It was a little slow starting this morning at 32 degrees! Thanks for the help!!
Hi found this for you http://www.colemanequip.com/Case-58...K-4T-390-ENGINE-1989181C1-0qXc/?#partdiagrams
Thanks Nova. that is the image I could not find. does the freeze plug pop out and the heater just drives in or is it threaded. The oring puzzles me.
Well, it doesn't just pop out. I've found it easiest to use a slotted screwdriver to punch a slot in the plug, then wiggle/pry it back and forth until it pries out. You don't actually have the heater yet, do you? The o-ring provides the seal against the block. There is a threaded wing on the inside part of the heater that you simply tighten with a screwdriver until it seals. This is a perfect time to perform a flush on the cooling system. Just be certain to fill with antifreeze before plugging in the heater, o
Catback, Thanks for the info. I will buy one first. Thanks again!!
http://www.hotstart.com/home/products/in-block-heaters/ http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/userfiles/file/ZEROSTART_2012_CATALOG(1).pdf http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/getdoc/2c8a6911-c214-4190-9059-d6aaa10fe527/DC12.aspx Some of these Block heater sites show where they go. Getting the Heater in isn't always easy. that 'O' ring wants to roll out. The tightening spec is less that you think it should be. don't overtighten.
thanks tony h. I bought one from the local Case dealer, same price as Colemans, now to get the freeze plug out. Dont look to bad, starter may be in the way
Here's my recomendation. Whether you are doing a flush or not. don't drain the coolant yet. Put a Drain pan under the freeze out Plug area. Drill a hole ( about 3/8ths) to put a screw driver in and leverage the Freeze out plug off the Block. That coolant will help push the metal filing from the Drilling outside the Block. Some Freeze out plugs are pretty thick, 1/16th of an inch, so don't push the drill too hard but don't think it's a piece of tin either. Putting the Heater in isn't all that easy so , get yourself as much room to work as you can. If the Starter looks like it's kinda in the way, just get it out of the way and make life easy. On my JCB, the Alternator looked clear so I drilled and got the Plug out. After getting frustarted with the 'O' ring not cooporating, I got the Alternator out and with less of a dance it finally went it. When it does sit in, all of a sudden, you wonder what the heck the problem was on all the other attempts. Good luck
Block heater is in! Freeze plug came out easy. I tapped in on one side and turned it 90* then grabbed w/ pliers and pulled it out. The heater went in easily and seated well. No need to remove starter. Thanks everybody for the help!!
Cheers.. Just cycle the machine a few times (Warm up and let cool) and watch for leaks. It's nice when thing go easy
This forum is great! It has saved me alot of money. Hopefully I can help someone w/ what I have learned.
Where did you end up getting the heater and what did it cost?
I bought at my local Case/IH dealer. We dont have a Case construction dealer close. Farmers Equipment is the name of the dealer. There prices are about the same as Coleman Equipment Online. Block heater was about $68.00. They have most things in stock if it crosses with skid loaders or tractors. If they have to order it is usually there in a day or two.