Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super L Extendahoe trans not engaging, cant find PIN to verify series

Glosol ยท 2023-01-01 00:32

I bought this backhoe for $1,000.00. It runs excellent, and I even drove it home, after direct wiring the F/R solenoid so it would engage. To start it up, the key had to go to the run position (dash lights came on, tach raised from below 0 rpm up to 0 rpm and stayed 0 when running) and since the ignition start position did not work, I jumped the white solenoid wire to a + source. I purchased a replacement FNR switch, removed, cleaned, and tested all relays (found 3 bad relays), removed and cleaned fuses and fuse block, and it starts with the key now. But when the key is turned to the run position, no dash lights turn on, the tach does not move, only alternator idiot light turns on, and it continues to run great. Using the FNR lever, nothing happens. I was ready to check voltages next to sort out where the problem is, when I read about a shift lock delay relay. I dont see this relay anywhere in this 1400+ page service manual. Maybe this is for a series 2 unit? I cant find the PIN to even check the info on this backhoe to know if it is or is not a series 2, so I really dont know which manual I need to be working with. I do know the relay bank between the two models is quite a bit different as far as locations and relay types. The problem is mine doesnt really match either one. Ive been beating my head trying to figure out what to do here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thank you!

Replies16
  1. #1Glosol2023-01-01 00:59

    I have a relay socket that looks like it was added to the relay bank as an afterthought. It bolts to the top left of the relay bank on the outside. I had a great picture for this, but it wouldnt let me post it. The relay in that location is a solid state type, with what looks like a timer circuit board. There is no part number on the relay to replace it with. Since there was a previous owner, my bet is its been shuffled over the years, so I have no idea what it is for. I am checking wire colors next to see which series it closer matches up to.

  2. #2Tinkerer2023-01-01 08:49

    The picture is most likely too large and needs to be downsized. If you want me to do it, send me your email address in a PM. The serial number of the tractor will reveal which series it is.

  3. #3Glosol2023-01-01 12:15

    I would love to find that serial number. I have been searching for it everywhere, but mostly the suggested spots. left side above loader pivot, and there is nothing at all.

  4. #4Glosol2023-01-01 12:27

    I have tried 2 file formats, bmp at 341kb, and jpg at 67kb, both under 3". File is on google photos with a generated url to link to the pic.

  5. #5Tinkerer2023-01-02 16:58

    Where is the link ? It can be posted here.

  6. #6Glosol2023-01-02 20:32

    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag8XzWMYDh7Tgtgf2IVqReWFH7zuJg?e=Nz8hYp So this is not as spectacular as I initially thought it would be, What it shows is an additional random relay socket that is not identified in either the normal 580 super L series 1 (if that was even a thing) or the series 2. Would this be the location of the timed relay they talk about in the series 2 repair manual? I can not find any referrence to a delay device in the "series 1" manual

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2023-01-02 20:39

    The serial number should be stamped on the frame above the fuel tank under operators platform. The original question about the empty relay socket that should be the shuttle timmer relay. Also check the shuttle interlock relay. And check the voltage to trans control solenoids and the FNR switch.

  8. #8alrman2023-01-02 21:37

    Here's a picture of the fuse box decal from a 580 SL (Euro built for AU)

  9. #9Tinkerer2023-01-02 22:12

    I rotated the image and was able to post it with no problems.

  10. #10JBrady2023-01-03 11:40

    A quick way to tell the difference between the series: The series 1 Super L's have a simple loader joystick with the neutral cutout button right on the top, The series II loader joystick is more like a modern excavator or skid steer joystick with the N cutout more on the side and another red button (can't remember what it is for). Picture of the Series II attached.

  11. #11Glosol2023-01-03 21:14

    I definitely have the simple loader stick with single clutch disconnect button. The picture of the relays and locations alrman posted at first glance look like a mirror image of the relay bank I have. I think thats the series 2 relay and fuses. The actual relay block I have is the one Tinkerer was able to post (thank you) and it has that red square on the top. That is what mine looks like, there is no mention of shuttle interlock or timing relays on the series 1. Yet I still have that open socket where the red block is shown. The manual doesnt list what it is anywhere, there were no markings on the relay I removed from that socket, and inside its a solid state relay that is too damaged and rusted to identify anything. I was able to get the backhoe to move using the shuttle shift, but that was after I jumped 2 of the terminals in that unknown socket so there would be power to the f/r relays. Something belongs in that socket, but I cant identify what it is.

  12. #12alrman2023-01-03 21:46

    I think you need item #26a in the diagram below - 278665A3 RELAY (sealed time delay, direction control interlock system)

  13. #13Tinkerer2023-01-04 09:48

    FWIW, which isn't much. After looking closely at the parts book it seems that the tractor could have been assembled with or without the shuttle interlock system. It appears to me that if the interlock is desired it can be added to the system with a rework kit. If the #279183A1 rework kit is installed it would require the additional socket and relay to be installed along with it. They may be part of the rework kit ? It is a shame that the installed rework kit is not shown or mentioned in the service manual for either the 580SL or the 580SL Series 2.

  14. #14Acecadet2023-01-04 10:50

    Would it just be possible to jump out the pins in the empty relay receptacle? Just jump pin 30 to pin 87. My understanding is this relay is just an interrupter for the forward and reverse relays if a false neutral signal is also received. This would prove that the missing relay is the problem. I did find some info at the patent office. There is some interesting info and a basic wiring diagram there. Just search this. US5934403A

  15. #15Glosol2023-01-08 06:42

    Absolutely the problem I have been having, Lack of info. If the interlock was optional on some models, like it appears mine is, what benefit is there to adding the timed relay? It seems to shift fine with the jumper wire. I am currently using that jumper, and I dont feel anything that might be harmful to the trans. I'm not exactly speed-shuttle shifting, I give a slight pause at N when changing direction. That is the part I was able to identify for the series 2, and a retrofit to my series 1 would likely have that same part number. I have been avoiding buying that part for one reason, the price is nuts. $120 for a relay with a timer? Its only $3.00 to build the part, grr. Thanks all, Ill end up getting the relay next unless someone has a reason to tell me its not required? Like Ive been saying, it shifts fine with the jumper wire. Just like it should.

  16. #16Coy Lancaster2023-01-08 09:49

    I believe the timer relay was put in the circuit to protect the shift solenoids from the electrical pulse from shifting from forward to reverse.