Hello everyone, Happy New Year! Have a problem with my Case 580 Super M. I was moving snow with the loader. All of a sudden everything went dead. A little smoke was coming from the area of the ignition switch. I shut off key and smoke stopped. We opened up the console and saw the plug was a bit burned at the BATT terminal. I unplugged the ignition side of the switch and tried key again. Have accessories side working, cab fan, head lights,turn signal but no gauges or warning lights. Can hear relay click when turning key to start but starter does not turn. Disconnected the ignition switch and tried a jumper wire from the BATT to the IGN wire. Got sparks and hot. Would appreciate if anyone may be able to help point me in the right direction. Thanks, Doug
It sounds like you have a shorted wire on the ignition side of your wiring from the switch. A good way to narrow down a problem area is to unplug different harness connections or accessories until you do not have the short. Usually it is a chaffed wire somewhere in the harness.
What he said. You can use a test light with the shorted/grounded ignition wire as your ground, then when the light goes out, you've found your short. Also check the ends of those ignition wires if you have a wiring diagram. Maybe one goes to the alternator?
thanks guys, I will try that. I don;t have a wiring diagram . I did disconnect the wires going to the alternator but no difference.