Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super M Series 2 fuel filter replacement

rickw · 2024-01-05 08:59

I have done the filters on our L with the Cummins engine, but this one has the Iveco. I looked for a video or tips and could not find much. Does anyone have a procedure for fuel filter replacement, air bleeding?

Replies13
  1. #1onehandman12024-01-05 13:24

    Hi Rick, according to the service manual: Drain the fuel inside the filer by operating the water release screw. Collect the fuel in a container without impurities unscrew the catridge by using acceptable tools coolect the eventual inside the filtering cartridge clean the gasket seat on the support and oil slightly the gasket on the new filtering cartidge screw manually the new filtering cartdrige until when the gasket is completely on its seat Tighten using acceptable tools to 5-10Nm torque

  2. #2rickw2024-01-06 09:09

    Thank you for the quick reply! Do I need to fill the new filter with fresh fuel or just install it dry and let the machine fill/ prime it? Does the Iveco have the manual primer pump/ rubber bulb?

  3. #3HarleyHappy2024-01-06 12:36

    Oohhh boy, that was the wrong question around here. Lol Against some opinions on here, I always prefill the filter on anything if it’s upright. lol

  4. #4onehandman12024-01-06 17:14

    Hi Rick, My super M series 2 has the primer right on the lift pump on the side of the engine. Manual didn't say anything about filling the fuel filter up before install. I Personally never do, but I'm going to go with its personal preference.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-01-06 18:39

    New diesel in a clean container or fuel that has been through a filter is imperative if pre-filling filters. It's not recommended on many engines but some engines can be a real pain to prime and get air out of the system. Do you want to spend 20-30 minutes or more getting a stubborn engine primed or have it start right up in 2 minutes by filling the filter(s)??

  6. #6Billrog2024-01-06 18:42

    30 sec priming mine until the airs out and it fires right up. I never fill the filter.

  7. #7Vetech632024-01-06 19:12

    Someone start a thread about......prefill or not. Ill cook popcorn and wait.

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-01-06 19:41

    It's been done. Maybe a thread on engines damaged by pre-filling filters could give a better idea how big or small of a problem it is?

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-01-06 19:43

    Is popcorn cooked or just heated to destruction... blowed up real good?

  10. #10Vetech632024-01-07 07:49

    Blown up real good with a ton of butter and a caramel dip.

  11. #11rickw2024-01-07 09:17

    Does yours have the Iveco Diesel?

  12. #12onehandman12024-01-07 10:42

    Hi Rick, Yes mine does have the Iveco engine. Its a 2005

  13. #13rickw2024-01-11 09:31

    Thanks for the help. All went well. I loosened the bleeder screw and tried the manual primer pump first and had no resistance, Then I remembered from my L w/ the Cummins that if the cam was in the upstroke position the hand pump would not work. I bumped the engine over and pump worked great. Wanted to be sure I could prime it before removal. Also I did not prefill the filter since there were so many advised against it