Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super M transmission problems

eg4430 ยท 2015-08-24 10:12

I've had my machine for about a week. It's a 2001 with 2600 hrs shuttleshift. Used it for about two days when the trans stop pulling forward. Reverse works fine so I guess it's the forward pac the needs attention. When I get it overhauled I was wandering if it can be bullet proofed? Are there better componets available to improve it? What would be a fair price for an overhaul? Thanks Ed

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2015-08-24 18:14

    Hey Ed! 2600 Hrs is not alot of hrs for one of those transmissions. I would suggest you thoroughly diagnose this problem before you decide to pull the transmission. It is likely you have an electrical problem causing this. I have discussed this diagnosing process a number of times before - take a look here - this discusses 580L, same set up as an M. It will also take you to other threads with similar problems. If you need any more specific help - feel free to ask. :drinkup

  2. #2eg44302015-08-24 19:36

    Alrman, thanks for your response. Let me give you all the facts. I had be going up a steep grade (about 40 degree) with full loader of rocks with 4x4 engaged, 1st gear. I tried pulling the hill without 4x4 on but that was a little scary, I almost lost traction at one point, that's another problem the dif lock doesn't work. A guy that use to rebuild these transmissions that using the 4x4 other than in mud will burn up the trans. Anyway, when I get to the top of the hill I disengage the 4x4 and proceed up smaller hill to the dump area. I did this about five times. The last time I get to the top stop disengage the 4x4 shift to forward, nothing. I backup alittle shift to forward nothing. I wait about 30 seconds shift forward it starts moving slowly with engine at about 2000 RPM. The trans is slipping badly. I get to the dump area then back to parking spot. That may be TMI but thats the rest of the story. Ed

  3. #3alrman2015-08-24 23:20

    Two things - 1) If the oil in it is CNH Hy-Trans, & if it hasn't been changed in a long time, they get a bit "gummy" in the control valve. Also the suction screen can get a little clogged. 2) I have seen the broken circlip problem in the control valve give similar symptoms. Both well worth having a look at before you get too serious.

  4. #4eg44302015-08-25 07:09

    I changed all the fluids before I used the machine including the trans filter screen, there wasn't much metal at all. I'll check the control valve before I jump off the deep end. Do these circlips break alot? Thanks

  5. #5alrman2015-08-25 08:59

    I've never seen them break more than once on a single machine..... but I have seen alot of machines with them broken.