Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super N won’t shift

Willie B · 2023-10-18 06:58

When I bought a 2014 Case 580 Super N a few years back, it wouldn't shift to first. My son dug into it & found suspicious issues in the column shift mechanism. He replaced it without solving the problem. We took it to the dealer & they said it worked fine for them. Cleared the code & it has worked fine since then. Last weekend was our annual antique tractor pull. The 'hoe gets a lot of work moving blocks & setting up. The site is 4 miles from home, & it gets driven on highway to & from, Highway driving is the only time it gets run in higher gears. Younger son says it was fine on highway, but wouldn't shift to first. Next day I was putting 30 blocks away for the winter & it wouldn't shift to 1st & an alarm, deafening even with ear plugs was screaming the whole time! On the way home it suddenly stopped & worked fine. Yesterday it started acting up again. This machine has a conventional gear transmission, with electric shifters. I bought an computer service manual, but nobody seems able to open it. I don't have access to a wiring diagram. Dealer is far away & they seem stumped also.

Replies9
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-10-18 09:27

    I cannot help you with your shifting issue, but I am sure that I can help with opening your service manual. Unless it is a damaged download. Is it in .pdf format ? Is it locked with a password ? If it isn't could you send a copy of it to me ?

  2. #2Willie B2023-10-18 18:49

    Thank you. I read your post & pondered, is it .pdf format? How do I send it? My son came along & for the tenth time I asked him how to open it. He spent 20 minutes & got it to open. It is "throwing a code" says "short circuit to ground". Now I have to find it. I appreciate your offer. Thanks again. Now I want to find that %^&*( alarm screamer! It is much worse than any problem. It doesn't immediately say what's wrong, need a manual to learn what's wrong, but nearly always an ear splitting alarm.

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-10-18 21:19

    If you have a gmail account you have access to Google Drive it is a free file sharing app. I use it quite often for sharing service manuals. That stupid alarm should have a fuse in it's circuit that will silence it if it is removed. I used to disconnect the wire that feeds them. If all else fails you could maybe tape rag over the stupid thing to muffle it. I do have the service training manual that has all of the codes and what they mean. It does not have any schematics in it. Only the definition of what the code is for.

  4. #4Willie B2023-11-05 06:35

    Resolving one problem gets access to another. Found a way to open the online service manual. It gives a test procedure for the problem. The diagnostic code means "short circuit in first gear solenoid" This is my third Case Backhoe & all have had electrical gremlins. Even those like me who have a shed to store it, sometimes leave it outside. Water takes its toll on electrical systems. I'm an electrician, but those skills offer little help in a system as complex as this. The transmission is a basic four speed mechanical unit. They call it Power Shift, it is an option. The idea being an inexperienced operator can shift while in motion without grinding gears. It involves a series of hydraulic cylinders to change gears, electrical control valves to operate the little hydraulic cylinders, switches to prove one gear has disengaged, before another can engage. It also controls the torque converter to interrupt power to the transmission while shifting. All this is through a module controlling all this. I haven't figured out how it synchronizes gear speed for a shift, I'll guess it accomplishes this with torque converter output shaft speed. We found the first gear solenoid valve to be corroded. Busted the magnet coil removing it from the tractor, but other tests of other components seem fine. This system seems to me WAY too complicated! I wonder if it could be converted to a conventional gearshift mechanism?

  5. #5HarleyHappy2023-11-05 09:01

    Just trade that damn thing for a Super E and you won’t have to worry about all that electronics stuff. Lol At this time in my life I would rather spend a few grand and some labor to go through an older machine and tighten it up than deal with turbos and electrical stuff. Lol

  6. #6MG842023-11-05 10:30

    I was curious about the transmissions in these newer machines, sounds like it isn't a true power shift transmission from what you are describing? A true power shift like on a dozer, scraper, large farm tractor, etc uses multiple clutch packs and planetary gear sets to change gears even under full throttle, full load conditions. It is a huge productivity booster and really saves your clutch leg. Full power shift is my transmission of choice on any machine it's available on. What you are describing sounds like a gimmick. I've been thinking about a new 580N but after lots of what I read and hear I'm having second thoughts, my old 480E with only 3000 original hours is looking better and better lol.

  7. #7MG842023-11-05 10:35

    Also, FWIW most of the case backhoes I've run starting with at least the E series, the 4spd transmission is synchronized in all but first gear, newer ones may be fully synchro. It sounds like all the system on yours is doing is disengaging the torque converter and basically shifting the lever for you.

  8. #8Willie B2023-11-05 19:29

    Yup, no miracles, a lot of failure prone components to electronically do what simple synchronizers & a manual gearshift could do.

  9. #9Willie B2023-11-09 07:35

    Update: The part arrived, took 1/2 hour to install. It worked!!! This was not a cheap part & I like to be sure a faulty part is the problem. I'm not usually one to throw parts at it, but once it was broken taking it off, no choice. It is to me insane to make a system so complex! Four hydraulic cylinders, four actuator valves, 8 proving switches, a complicated control switch on the steering column, & a very complex computer to control them all. Not to mention hundreds of wires to fail! Last backhoe I had, a muscle bound extra son forced it when it wouldn't slip into gear, broke the shift lever under the floor. No diagnostic needed, only a dismantle to get it out & weld it.