Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B 1974 Mech Shuttle – need help identifying a part

JBP ยท 2015-03-09 21:36

Hello all. What is the device that is located next to the floor shifter, that has a connector sticking straight up and two wires running to it? I thought it was maybe the hydr temp sensor, but the wires from it did not go there, one went to the starter key switch (I forget if it was IGN, or BATT, wasn't ACC) and the other wire.... I can't remember it was 2 hours ago but I think it went to the starter solenoid. That makes it sound like it is a neutral switch. Bought it used and the way it was started was by using two screwdrivers on the solenoid/starter. Trying to get a good set of wires run. Attached is my schematic that I think I want to follow. Plus, has anybody put in an aftermarket oil pressure gauge on a 580B? Thanks. JBP

Replies12
  1. #1sheepfoot2015-03-10 19:56

    The switch you are talking about is the neutral start switch, some had a start slot for the gear shifter or just plane neutral. You need to put that switch before or after the starter push button to the start term on the solenoid. You can use a aftermarket oil pressure gauge elect, or with its own line and gauge mount.

  2. #2JBP2015-03-10 20:27

    sheepfoot, thanks for the info. The oil pressure sender wire was disconnected, so I haven't figured out where the sender is. I was figuring it might be near the oil filter but I haven't had luck in finding it. Any clues on that?

  3. #3sheepfoot2015-03-10 20:53

    I was thinking close to or behind area of the injection pump on the block, been a while since I saw a B, should have a single wire and the sensor has a nut to hold the term on.

  4. #4JBP2015-03-11 19:56

    Thanks SF, there was a disconnected wire running to that side of the engine block. I'll give it a more thorough look. Have to degrease a bit to see it probably. JBP

  5. #5JBP2015-03-30 20:28

    CASE 580B - still have not found out where the oil pressure sender unit is/goes hello all. still have not found out where the oil pressure sender unit is/goes. Any idea?

  6. #6JBP2015-03-30 21:09

    Couple of questions on 580B 1974-oil and hydraulics I saw on another search someone (Fordman) said the oil sender location is on the left side of the block. I found only two plugs (nothing resembling a sender unit). One was a bolt with a 15/16" hex head, and that turned out to be a coolant drain. I did not remove the other (I have to dry off first). The second was a bit smaller but has the word 'drain' right below it. Below is a photo of the 580B showing the two plugs (just aft of the fuel filters). I am assuming that if I remove that smaller bolt and oil drains out, that I can use that to mount the sensor? Also, another question: besides the main hydraulic system housing between the engine and transmission, is there a reservoir elsewhere? Thanks. JBP

  7. #7melben2015-03-30 21:47

    The oil galley runs along the left side of the engine, the sender should be below the inj pump and ahead but lower than the fuel filter base, is it possible that someone removed a leaky sender and put a plug in the hole, galley plugs are normally a straight screwdriver slot type 1/8th NPT. Where does that wire in your photo go? Its about the right size wire and headed in the right direction. The B has a OP lite according to the Case Ce parts site.

  8. #8JBP2015-03-31 20:07

    Melben, thanks for the tip. I was just out there pulling off the right front tire to get it fixed (tube) and to replace the spindle bushing and bearings. That's when I discovered some wahoo had welded the spindle post to the cross-arm right below the castellated nut! argh! I forgot about the oil sensor. $175 of parts I gotta see if I can return. And do my taxes. Gotta get a beer. Or some cabernet sauvignon. Which one.......

  9. #9JBP2015-04-01 21:22

    Photo of left side of crankcase - oil sensor location? Okay the photo here shows three plugs. One I've confirmed is coolant. Of the other two, if they are both oil, which one would be the one for putting a light sensor or pressure gage sensor? Thanks. JBP

  10. #10melben2015-04-02 09:31

    Upper big plug for block heater, lower back plug antifreeze drain, one below the filter should be an oil gallery. below and front of the fuel filter, square head plug, 1/8 NPT.

  11. #111968 Case 580CK2015-04-18 22:27

    Heres a pic of my 68 580CK......It has an oil line coming out where you have a plug. I have not traced this line, but think it goes up to the oil gauge at the dash.

  12. #12JBP2015-08-22 11:22

    Thanks to all. Oil gauge installed and operational. Reads 75 psi at start, goes down to 50 when warm, down to 30 when OVERHEATED. Next: replace the most holy radiator. plus the doggone thing did not have a thermostat installed. New thread coming.