Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B 2 piece to 1 piece cylinder

talltexan6ft7 ยท 2023-06-24 10:04

Hi, after getting the rod out of the boom cylinder on my 1973 Case 580b, I noticed that the piston was in pretty bad shape (perhaps the bolt came loose, I don't know). Saw a piston advertised for $98.00 on HWPartstore's website and ordered it. Came very quickly, but to my surprise, it was a 1 piece piston! Called the company and by the way (they are the nicest and most helpful people I have encountered in quite sometime). Was told that the 2 piece piston was unattainable and that the 1 piece would work! I just thought I would share this with you and double-check this before I put it back together! Thanks.....

Replies4
  1. #1RES2023-06-26 18:13

    Shouldn't matter so long as correct diameter. Hopefully your cylinder isn't beat up on the inside.

  2. #2talltexan6ft72023-06-27 08:56

    HI, me too!

  3. #3melben2023-06-27 09:25

    Boom cylinders on the two boom cylinder machines are often damaged by dropping the boom when swung to one side and colliding with the stabilizer pad when it is up, can you describe the damage or better yet post pictures, if the side is scuffed in one area that would be the first clue. Replaced many barrels in my day for just this reason.

  4. #4talltexan6ft72023-06-27 09:35

    Hi, thanks for the reply Melben; outside (barrel) is ok. It was the piston that was beat up and had to be replaced! This machine is 50 years old and no telling how many people have done repairs on it. Take care.....