Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B after market clam shell bucket

Gilbert603 · 2018-06-15 09:34

Hello guys. I have a 1974 Case 580B diesel with a wain roy clam shell bucket on the hoe. At some point someone had this bucket installed, it’s great, very usefull, only problem is it keeps drifting open. While digging etc I have to constantly keep closing the bucket. I’ve done a lot of repairs to the machine already for the year that I’ve had it and mostly because I have the service manual to follow. But this is an aftermarket set up so nothing in the manual for it. The piston in the bucket is nice and dry so I don’t think it needs new seals. The three way valve in the cab gets its oil source from the stabilizer valve. How should I proceed in toubleshooting? Relief in the stabilizer valve, seals/o rings in the three way, etc? I’m not really sure. Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies4
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-06-17 22:54

    Do you have a diagram of the thumb circuit

  2. #2Gilbert6032018-06-18 16:10

    I don’t but luck has it the seal just started leaking quite a bit. Last time I looked it seemed dry, but now it is in fact leaking so I’m sure that’s what’s causing it to drift open. I’d rather deal with a gland seal vs playing with reliefs etc. thanks for the response!

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-06-18 16:31

    A dry rod is no indication of the condition of the gland (piston) rings. Now that oil is getting past the wiper seal it is time for a new kit for the cylinder. I would be surprised if the rings arn't worn completely out.

  4. #4Gilbert6032018-06-28 14:02

    Thank you for the input. I'll get around to repairing it soon but right now I have alot of work to do with the tractor so I've been putting it off.