Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B brake problem

grapeman ยท 2017-02-02 04:01

I recently redid both brakes on my 580B. New linings, new steel balls, springs, seals, etc. I got the parts from dale at tractor stuff and he was most helpful. there were no oil on the old lining, so seals were good. Put it all back together, adjusted and worked well for a while. now, the brakes will sometimes "stick" or " hang up" If they stick in forward, you have to shift to (power shuttle) . reverse for a second to un-stick them. If the stick in reverse, then you have to shift to forward to unstick them. If you put outriggers down, wheels up and go forward OR reverse, there is no sticking issue. Other times, they stick or hang-up when you take off. Sometimes, they don't stick at all, but most of the time they do. Prior to the rebuild, I had the same problem sometimes, but in addition they would hardly stop the tractor at all because the lining were gone. Does anyone have any ideas on this? this is a ranch hoe and doesn't get a lot of use.

Replies1
  1. #1franklin22017-02-02 10:48

    I had problems with them sticking on my 480c. Since you rebuilt yours, you should not have a problem with dirt and grime in the ball/ramps area, that was my main problem. But I also noticed I could not adjust them up too tight, I needed a little travel in the brake pedal. Apparently when you let off the brakes, the piece with the balls in the middle of the brake band needs a little room to spin back. That's what is really happening, as you hit the brakes the band grabs the OD of the brake assembly and stops it, but the tractor moves just a little more and this "winds up" the center of the brake assembly and wedges the balls in the ramps, expanding the unit inside the housing. When you release the brakes the band on the OD loosens and the brake assembly now needs to spin backwards to release itself. When you have to put the tractor in reverse to release the brakes, you are using the tractor to "help" the assembly spin back. When mine is working right, I can touch the brake as I move forward and then quickly let off and I can hear a "clunk", this is the center brake piece spinning backwards to release. I am too used to working on cars and trucks where you adjust the drum brakes on the tight side. These work better with some play. If yours was like mine, all that stuff was froze/rusted up. I spent hours with penetrate loosening the adjusters, shafts, and parking brake mechanism. Getting the floorboard out was the hard part.