Hi, Everybody , Going through the wiring mess on this machine and between the parts manual and ect am trying to figure out how the resistor is wired. from what I can see a wire from the Ign. switch to the resistor and from the resistor back to the switch?? Another problem the neutral safety switch on the manual trans. closes when in gear?? See to me it should be open when in gear?? The long and short is the wiring seems to be all here but been balled up through the years by first one then another owner. Will be happy with any info. Thanks for your time from jerry
You have a gas engine,yes ? That resistor, sometimes called a ballast (reference #25) is used to drop the 12 volt battery voltage to six volts for the ignition coil and distributor. If it fails you will not have any current going to the coil and distributor. If you eliminate it you will burn the coil and ignition points rather quickly. That same set up was used in thousands of GM and probably other mfr's. cars and trucks years ago. The last statement sure shows my age If you have a mechanical shuttle you will also have a wire on the supply side of that resistor that supply's power to a solenoid for it (reference #26) Here is a link to the online parts book page. http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr64553ar125444bi-29
Hi, Tinkerer, Thanks for the reply. I have a gas engine ,No. Diesel G188D yes. My parts manual and service say its for the Alternator. But back to the wiring info, The diagram sucks to say the least. I am a ham radio guy for 55 years and I guess I am more into a schematic. If I ever get this thing figured out I'll draw a schematic detailed and post it. I am determined to put this machine back as was new. This thing has wire nuts, twisted connections and tape . And the wiring is in places a man can hardly get to so as to chase it. The safety switch on the manual transmission shows closed when in gear and open in neutral,, must be the wrong switch ( I think) I am replacing the gauges including the fuel gauge (all though my boy reminded me We have a yard stick) Anyway you see where I am at. Thank you for any help. This hoe turned into a project but I love every minute of it, At my age its a challenge zand keeps my mind occupied From jerrywf
I agree schematics are the best thing to use for tracing wires. The schematic drawing in the service manual I have shows the color codes, as it should. If you have the service manual the schematic should be in it. Anyway were you originally referring to reference #49 in this drawing? If you were, it clearly shows the wire routing from and back to the switch.I think these drawings should show about everything you need to trace the wires. Here is a link to the online parts manual page.
tinkerer, I forgot to mention that I hoped those nasty storms missed your area. I have the wiring diagram and the color codes, But on a machine like this one most of the colors are beyond the beyond. I guess the best bet is to con one of my sons to spend some time over here, on one end and myself on the other with a test lite and a ohm meter and start tagging wire. Also got a marine Ign. switch to replace the lawn mower type. CUL. jerry
Jerry, Greetings from 3 land. Mel, KC3EH
Jerry, From one ham to another, if that is the resistor for the alternator exciter circuit it should read appx 75 ohms. If so it is between the ign terminal of the ign switch and the exciter terminal on the alternator. A ballast resistor for the ign circuit will be just a few ohms. All those style resistors look the same though, it may be marked as to ohms but if not an ohmmeter is almost a must Greetings from 3 land. Mel, KC3EH
Mel thanks for the reply. I checked the resistor with the Fluke and it needs replacement. Just going to trace the wiring one at a time.. Thanks again for the reply. I run mostly Boat anchors that's why viking62 as in Johnson collector plus others sort like tractor fever. 73s from jerry KR4BR
where'd you find that diagram, tinkerer?