I have a case 580b , shuttle transmission, that will not go into gear without grinding the gears. The clutch brake feels like it is flat not working. I checked the fluid level in the transmission. At the full mark. Ran the engine with the filler cap off and fluid pumping as it should. What should I be checking. This issue just started as I have put over 1000 hours on the machine without any problems. Thanks for reading this thread.
To my knowledge there is no clutch brake on that machine, are you sure the clutch linkage doesn't just need adjustment?
Will the shuttle go into neutral, forward and reverse with the transmission in gear? If it will, and you can't change gears while its running, it will likely be a shuttle issue. My 580CK has the same issue where I can't change gears while the machine is running, even when the shuttle is in neutral. In the shuttle, there are two sets of clutch packs, one for forward and one for reverse. They have 6 springs in each pack that separate the clutch plates when the shuttle is in neutral. I understand they break and then the clutches will still be engaged, causing the transmission input shaft to still turn while you change gears. I haven't got mine out yet but Xpack has posted some good info on resealing and putting new springs in his shuttle. Bad news is that you will have to split the tractor or for now, just select a gear while the tractor is not running. Your problem may be something entirely different, depending on what your shuttle dump valve is doing. Good luck and keep us posted...
Case 580B Clutch /Brake pedal The clutch / brake pedal is on a power shuttle system. I was able to depress clutch and select a new gear while engine running and selector in the neutral position. However, the other day the only way to get the backhoe out of gear was bringing the heck out of it or shut the machine down. It does not do it all the time. Remember the shifter on the transmission has to be in the start position to start. Then you have to select a gear to move.
I was looking at the mechanical shuttle apparently. Is the cam and linkage moving the spool in the shuttle control valve fully?
On some machines, mine included the neutral start switch has been bypassed in order to be able to use the machine. Mine has been that way for the 25 years I've owned it and I am now just getting around to fixing the issue and will reconnect the start switch after the repair. The clutch pedal will dump the hydraulic pressure to the shuttle and apply the brakes. Consult your manual for the points to check. Since its intermittent, its not likely the clutch release springs, and could be a sticking valve in the shuttle control circuit.
The Shuttle Control circuit was my next step. I will probably pop the top off and check to see if there is any junk in the plunger area. Thanks for the info.
Garv.... i havent heard you mention what your clutch pressure gauge is at when you push the clutch in it should drop all the pressure when you push the clutch pedal down and then build back up to around 180 psi when you let go of the clutch......... That would be my first move and if it isnt dropping pressure to zero then it may just need this adjustment done in the pics attached ...........Another thing i found with my ck is if the low idle is to hi it will want to grind mine is set at about 600rpm lo idle and 2200rpm hi idle you may want to check this as well .........let us know what you come up with........
Case Shifting issues I found my issue. I tried to put the backhoe in gear and the spool shot out of the shuttle valve along with a few gallons of transmission fluid. The Cam follower shaft broke at the cam follower bearing. That was the issue all along. As the bolt began to bend the spool was not dropping the pressure on the torque converter all the way. I really am happy I was getting all the good information from everyone. Once again this site "ROCKS". Being a retired Master Chief Jet Mechanic, I want to say thanks for all our comrades that have passed before us on this day of remembrance. QUOTE=xpackdeals;638549]Garv.... i havent heard you mention what your clutch pressure gauge is at when you push the clutch in it should drop all the pressure when you push the clutch pedal down and then build back up to around 180 psi when you let go of the clutch......... That would be my first move and if it isnt dropping pressure to zero then it may just need this adjustment done in the pics attached ...........Another thing i found with my ck is if the low idle is to hi it will want to grind mine is set at about 600rpm lo idle and 2200rpm hi idle you may want to check this as well .........let us know what you come up with........ View attachment 154884 View attachment 154885 [/QUOTE]