Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B, Dumb operating question.

Gilbert603 · 2018-06-28 14:22

Hey guys, so I have a 74' 580B diesel with power shuttle. I've gotten alot of work done with it already but I have a stupid operating question. So for those of you that own this machine you know that to operate the backhoe you need to put down the stablizers otherwise you'll be pulling wheelies ( true for most backhoes? ). Problem is I have a lot of boulders to move around, a couple of hundred feet, and will eventually make retaining walls with them. If I cant use the backhoe to transport the boulders, I have to use the loader. Some of the boulders are too big to fit in the loader bucket so I have been using rigging straps which is very time consuming, sometimes the rocks slip out of the straps, etc. Is there a trick to using the backhoe without the stablizers, and having the hoe fully folded in transport position? I tried loading the front loader with material as a counter weight but with not much luck. I did order clamp on forks, and they'll be in next week. I'm hoping the they will make things go more smoothly. But is there something I'm missing, any tricks, etc to using the hoe without stabilizers? I'm obviously a newbie so thanks for any adivce.

Replies13
  1. #1redneckracin2018-06-28 14:32

    Not for what you are wanting to do. Why don't you load the boulders onto a stone boat and drag them? The loader with lift alot more than the hoe will and safer too. I would maybe look at replacing the bucket with forks if possible.

  2. #2Gilbert6032018-06-28 14:49

    I'll see how the forks workout. If not so good I'll look into the stone boat, that's a good idea

  3. #3Delmer2018-06-28 15:41

    Use a bigger machine, or live to regret it.

  4. #4Gilbert6032018-06-28 17:28

    I wish I could get bigger equipment Delmer, not really an option for me, I'm just a homeowner with hobbies trying to fix up a house and yard. Maybe an excavator is in my future but certainly not this year.

  5. #5Gilbert6032018-06-28 17:32

    The hoe has a clam shell bucket so picking them isn't a problem, unless the boulder is simply too big say 4x4x4 feet. It's moving/transporting them thats the issue and I'm sure there's a solution like the stone boat.

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-06-28 20:15

    You should be able to pick up up some fairly large stones with the backhoe. Pull the stone all the way forward until it contacts the boom. you need to have the boom extended somewhat because it is has to come up to do the lift. Pull the bucket in and under the rock as far as you can. You may need to put the teeth in the dirt to be able to get ahold of the rock. If the rock is tooo big you will not be able to lift it. When carrying really big things in the loader bucket it helps immensely to raise the loader high enough that the bucket will roll back and put the weight of the object on the rear of the bucket. If you cannot do that you shouldn't be overloading the machine that much. Sometimes I have had to use a tree to get rocks and tree stumps in the loader bucket.

  7. #7Grady2018-06-29 00:02

    I've moved a lot of rocks here in the Granite State as there is little else but rocks around here. Some are just too big for that machine to move but the easiest way I've found for the ones that aren't too big is to weld a 3/8 grab hook on each top corner of the front bucket. I curl the bucket down and get it as close as I can to the rock to be moved and then jump out and run a chain from one corner hook around the rock to the other corner hook with as little slack as possible. I jump back in and curl the bucket back and the rock usually cooperates and flops into the bucket. keep it close to the ground during transport and I hope your front tires are in good shape. Go slow and Good luck.

  8. #8Gilbert6032018-06-29 07:01

    Grady, where are you located in NH?

  9. #9Grady2018-06-29 10:23

    Bow, Weare are you? ; )

  10. #10Gilbert6032018-06-29 12:21

    Ahh, not too far from me. I’m over by cold springs campground

  11. #11Grady2018-06-29 22:11

    You can weld on a regular hook like for a chain but something like this is made to be welded on and would probably hold better. https://www.amazon.com/STARRR-PRODU...0324439&sr=8-9&keywords=3/8+weld+on+hook&th=1

  12. #12hammertime2018-06-30 01:47

    Thanks for posting this link. I am going to buy a couple of those for my loader. Much better than modifying a hook to weld flat

  13. #13franklin22018-06-30 08:25

    Not a great solution, but I had a couple of very heavy rocks like you have. I chained a couple of them on the front loader like you said you did, and I also picked them up with the rear bucket, folded it all the way in, and then lowered it down to the ground so the bucket was just skimming the ground. The front tires were a couple of inches off the ground and I had to steer with the brakes. Be careful.