Hi I have a 580ck Series B backhoe. I bought it used but, I have owned it for thirty years. It has been real good to me with only minor issues like hoses and a few cylinder rebuilds but, I figure that's pretty good.. Recently I have seen oil running down the dipper arm from inside the tunnel. It only happens when I use the extend portion of the hoe so I can only assume that there is either a leak in a hose or that there is a steel line in there somewhere with a pin hole that just keeps getting bigger. My problem is that I can't see how to get at these pieces... there is an inspection type plate at the end of the dipper arm but it doesn't seem to show me much. I can see where the hoses go into the tunnel but that's about it. Has anyone done work like this and would be willing to share some tips or explanation on how to get at this and get this leak stopped. I am guessing that it's a lot of work by the looks of things.. Thanks
HeavyEquipmentForums
Search U-Tube for case extend a hoe repair videos. There newer machines but basically the same idea. Stretch it out And support the boom. remove the two hoses at the top and pull the pin at the bottom where The bucket rocker plates attach. Using a hoist or loader slide the extension out. Pull the pin at the top of the boom and slide the Cylinder out. Tom
Thanks for the information. I will likely try the tree approach, I don't have access to any other loader of hoists. I had a look on YT and they all seem to use loaders which I think would be a nice option. I will give it a go and see what happens.. Do I need to plug the two bucket hoses like what is in the pictures Billrog pointed me too ? Any idea where I can get plugs that would work ? Dave
Well...got the extension off and all ready to remove the cylinder and the last dam pin won't budge. Heated it up and everything. No go.. Like I say, I bought this machine when it was about 8-9 years old and I have never removed that pin so, I guess it has about 30 years of rust holding it in. Looks like the original owner had that pin out though. I can see torch marks where it was heated before and got a little to hot in one spot and started to burn through. I pounded on the pin for a long time with a bar and sledge. Finally at the end of the day I decided to weld a nut on both sides on the pin. That way I can get a better swing without using a bar and shouldn't have to worry about mushrooming the ends of the pin. Will let you guys know how it goes !! Dave