Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B – external hydraulic reservoir tank

d2r ยท 2011-06-11 03:45

The loader frame on my 73 ( which does double duty as a reservoir for hydraulic fluid ) is apparently cracked and leaking from inside at least one of the welded-in bushings... which sounds like a costly and complicated repair to me. I was thinking of having an external tank bolted on to the off-door side of the cab instead. Could have a drain plug right in the bottom... would also be easier to access & fill. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Any reason not to do it? Do the newer machines still use the loader frame to hold hydraulic oil?

Replies4
  1. #1tomjc2011-09-04 15:51

    I am a newbi and just bought a Case 580b and can't find the filler for the hydraulic system

  2. #2alrman2011-09-04 17:11

    Welcome to HEF tomjc! There is a wealth of info here, many questions can be answered by searching previous posts. Here's one for your question - HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3tomjc2011-09-04 21:29

    Thanks for your promt advice, this forum is great

  4. #4Dodgeman2011-09-10 19:46

    tomjc, I have a "b" also and at the top of the frame work where the loader attaches, there is a breather(two actually, one on each side)about 1 inch around. I unscrew that to fill the hydralic fluid, But also there is a plug about half way down the side of the frame work and I was told not to fill it up past the plug. So you will need to take that plug out too. If oil runs out when you do, its fill I guess.