Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B fan belt

Puffie40 ยท 2022-09-26 10:45

We are currently replacing the water pump in our '72 580B. A question I have is what size of fan belt is used? It has the 188ci diesel engine. Also, is there any radiator re-installation advice anyone can provide? We had to unbolt the fan to lift the radiator up. It's quite tight in there!

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-09-26 14:47

    The brand name of the alternator (Delco or Prestolite) will determine the belt size. It is a cogged style belt.

  2. #2Puffie402022-09-26 15:30

    Hi Tinkerer, The backhoe has a Delco 10SI alternator.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-09-26 17:01

    I highly recommend a CNH belt. Any CNH dealer can get it for you. Hardware store bets stretch tooo much. Click on the image to enlarge it.

  4. #4Puffie402022-10-05 11:21

    After some messing around, we determined an A46 belt fit pretty well. I'm not sure why the OEM belts were too long, our alternator has the standard 2 5/8" pulley.

  5. #5Sslane2025-03-08 22:04

    How did this go? I have a 508B but the radiator is pinned in. There is no way to lift it straight up out. Its stuck between the hyd pump and bottom radiator hose.

  6. #6Poppa Hatch2025-03-11 13:19

    Does anyone know what size the belt is with a Prestolite alternator? Can't seem to find a solid answer. 188D, tractor Serial # 8732011. I'd like to know just in case the dealer gets it wrong, seems like they don't care to deal with the older tractors, they look at you like they want to say get a new tractor!

  7. #7Poppa Hatch2025-03-11 14:49

    Nevermind! I see it listed in the diagram already posted.