Hello! I have a question out there regarding my Case 580B and whether or not it is a hydrostatic. For starters, I am very well aware of the regular "hydrostatic" type setup where there are two foot pedals for forward and reverse. My 580B does not have either, but it does have a shifter to go between forward and reverse right on the steering column. It also hase the regular 4 speed H pattern on the floor. From what I have gathered out there, there appears to be several different iterations and versions of this machine. From mechanical clutch, to shuttle shift, to hydrostatic, etc. The question I have, is mine a hydrostatic?? I have seen people say it both ways, so now I am wondering. My gut tells me that it is NOT a hydrostatic. The reason why I need to find this out is because I recently had the ring gear go out on me over the weekend. Looking for parts, I see a disclaimer saying "not for hydrostatic transmissions" but from what I have been able to find, it looks like what I have is some sort of hydrostatic transmission, but without the foot pedals. If anyone out there would be willing to help me figure this out or point me in a direction, I would appreciate it. Also, if someone could point me to a company that sells parts not at OEM pricing I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Welcome to HEF wi4x4man! Here is a link to an earlier thread with pics of a 580B hydro - does yours have these pedals? - Do you have pics of yours & can you post them?
Hi Alrman, Nope, it doesn't have those pedals at all. As a matter of fact, that is the first time I have seen a 580B with those pedals which is why I had always assumed that mine was a hydrostatic. I will snap some pictures tonight of the rig. Whenever I disassemble something I try to make sure to take "before and after" pictures for my own reference.
It sounds like you may be confusing "torque converter drive" with hydrostatic. Most backhoes use a torque converter just like a car w/ an auto tranny, a some more use a clutch just like a car w/ a stickshift, and a few use hydrostatic drive which is a hydraulic pump driving a hydraulic motor that drives the wheels through the transmission, like the one in the thread alrman posted.
Well, I know for a fact that it has a torque converter, so I am guessing that it is the torque converter drive you speak of. I deal with all sorts of different types of heavy equipment all of the time, so nothing suprises me anymore. I have seen hydrostatic drives driven by manual clutches (yeah, seriously), torque converters that run under constant stall conditions (on purpose) and etc. That is why I started to really wonder what type of machine this was. Again, nothing suprises me anymore, and the decal "Hydrostatic" on the side of the unit makes one wonder. Now that I am reasonably comfortable knowing that it is not hydrostatic, another question: In order to take the pinion gear out, does the tractor really need to be split? I can get the ring gear out without splitting, but that pinion attaches farther forward within the gear box. I just don't know if I can remove it without splitting. It will sort of set my game plan up as to where I will do the work at (at home in the sand and gravel, or inside a poorly lit area on a rough concrete floor).