Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 580B Mechanical Shuttle Shift -Synchronizer Sticking/Seized

MotoMark ยท 2024-04-04 19:28

I purchased a Case 580B that was told it would not go into forward or reverse. Upon further inspection they had removed the cover to the mechanical shuttle shift and removed the fork that engages the synchronizer. I am unable to slide the synchronizer without beating forward or backwards with a hammer. I was later told they had ran the machine without any oil in the transmission and the synchronizing coupler had seized.(not provided information prior to purchase) I have managed to get the synchronizer to move back and forth but I am convinced the synchronizer pins are bunged up. Would this make sense? how do I go about getting it torn down enough to get the synchronizer out? It seems to be an odd model where everything is mechanical without any hydraulic assist in the transmission. Serial #5263103 Wondering if I need to split from the engine- or remove the hoe- or both....Any guidance is very appreciated! (also tried working it back and forth with penetration oil but still very stiff!

Replies1
  1. #1shopguy2024-04-06 07:21

    Welcome to the forum. Maybe you can free it up but if not remove the backhoe and split it at the rear of the torque tube (front of the 4 speed) the shuttle and the hi-lo box will be bolted to the front of the 4 speed .hope this helps