Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B Only goes in reverse…

szehnder10 ยท 2018-10-23 21:06

I have a Case 580B with the power shuttle transmission and it seems to be stuck in reverse... I can switch the shuttle shift to forward and I can hear what sounds like the fluid moving but it still only goes backwards. I have tried draining and refilling the oil but that didn't seem to do anything. I am thinking it's the forward clutches but I am really trying to convince myself that it is something else, maybe something easier to fix... Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Is there something else that could be causing this to happen, preferably something where I don't have to split the tractor... Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1Chevy327202018-10-24 01:16

    I had this happen on my backhoe and the problem was a sensor on my transmission. Cant remember what sensor it was. I took it to a mechanic and he spent a bunch of time working on the tranny and finally figured out it was a sensor. Ive got an 82 ford 445 backhoe so there cant be many sensors

  2. #2Glen Weldon2018-10-25 12:06

    Well, I believe it should go in to neutral and not move. Are you saying that you can't get it to go in to neutral? Or, will it just not move in forward, only in reverse. Actually, I guess I'm trying to verify that it is indeed "stuck" in reverse...

  3. #3Dave Neubert2018-10-25 16:18

    look underneath and make sure the linkage is moving

  4. #4Mnash502592018-10-26 22:28

    HeavyEquipmentForums Good start right here...

  5. #5JL Sargent2018-10-27 07:01

    Check your pickup screen and see if you have friction material in it from the clutch.

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2018-10-27 16:06

    If your shuttle is stuck in reverse with no neutral then your reverse clutch is staying engaged. You either have a bad clutch or a bad seal in clutch stem.

  7. #7Glen Weldon2018-10-30 13:06

    Haven't seen the OP in 7 days... Does that happen often around here?

  8. #8Tinkerer2018-10-30 17:38

    Yes ! Way too often. People get busy with other things or they make a repair using advice acquired here and never post the outcome back to us.