I'm sure this is a very covered subject and probable previous post that you can forward me to, but the quick story. I had oil leaking out of my brake housings so I pulled the housings off and found soaked brake linings. I replaced all the seals both side and replaced all the friction material, set up the linkage to factory specs. the brakes will stop but poorly and going down a hill they won't stop at all unless I put my whole body into it I would have thought I would be able to lock them up at some point (all mechanical no hydraulics). Thanks.
Following, I will be doing my brakes as well at some point.
Same here basically. Oil from one brake cover and poor brakes. Following .... hope to dig into that issue once my engine is rebuilt and installed again. Hopefully someone who has been into a brake repair can give some tips and advise.
Your brakes work like my 480c, but it looks like yours are mechanical. When you apply the brakes and then let off, do you hear a "clunk" noise? This should be the center donut piece retracting when you release the brake pedal. Your brake pedal applies the outer band to the donut piece, but the donut piece has fiction pads on the sides, and has balls sitting in ramps inside the donut. When you apply the brake to the outside of the donut piece, the center spline from the trans keeps turning, the balls ride up the ramps inside and make the donut piece expand sideways and wedges it inbetween the sidewall of the trans and the thick brake cover you took off. When you release the brakes, you can hear the donut piece retracting making a clunk sound. You can take it all back apart, take the donut piece apart, and make sure the balls inside are free to move in the ramps or grooves inside.
There is some good information in this thread ignore the bad attitudes towards the end of it. HeavyEquipmentForums