Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B power steering pump

digdug2023 ยท 2023-07-17 07:46

Hello all, I'm new here and just have a supposed easy fix. Power steering went out (I'm assuming since this). While running, I can spin the steering wheel and get no movement in the wheels. Removed power steering pump to replace and can't find a replacement. Either the fill neck is in the wrong spot or the gear won't line up. Original doesn't have the pn but it's a '71 I believe. Any reliable place or info on where to get a new one from would be much appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-07-17 18:12

    How did you determine that the pump need to be replaced ? Did take the oil filter out of it and cut it open to see what may or may not be in it . Turning he steering wheel and nothing moving can be several different possibility's to be wrong with it. Click on this for the parts book !

  2. #2digdug20232023-07-18 11:47

    Honestly when it comes to heavy equipment, it's all new to me. Had a guy who I hire to do my excavating look at it and he said it was the pump.

  3. #3digdug20232023-07-18 11:52

    I've also tried replacing it 3x and got pumps that don't fit (gear offset wrong, filler tube wrong angle)

  4. #4Vetech632023-07-18 13:01

    The splines going into the top of the orbital rust and strip out often. You would be best served to troubleshoot this better before throwing parts at it

  5. #5digdug20232023-07-19 21:54

    Splines are good. still "pops" when I hand turn it.

  6. #6Tinkerer2023-07-21 09:54

    Where does the "pop" sound come from ? 1- The steering column or the steering motor it controls ? 2- The hydraulic cylinders ? 3- The pump ?