Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B questions

bob24752 ยท 2010-10-13 20:14

Hi Folks, I spent quite a bit of time reading this very helpful forum and haven't been able to find much information elsewhere. I bought a 1974 Case 580B with a mechanical shuttle for $4000. she has about 5000 hrs on the 'looks like original' tach. Clutch is about at the end of adjustment I think. The High-Low range lever is broken off. I used a pair of vise-grips to try putting her in low range, but she pops out of gear under any kind of load. I only looked into this for about 10 minutes and I'm not sure I got it into gear all the way or not, but considering the range lever was broken off, welded sloppily, and broken again, I doubt the gears are good. (How's that for a run-on sentence?) Since I'm most likely not the smartest person to work on this machine, is it possible the low range problem is similar to a shifting problem I've read in another post on HEF where an alignment dowel shifts out of place preventing a full throw of the lever? Do you know of an easy way to lock it into low range? She is a homeowner toy now, not a production machine. I'd rather be stuck with 4 low range gears than 1 high range (2 if she's pointing downhill) Thanks, Bob After I replace the motherboard in my laptop, I will post some pics of the old bird.

Replies31
  1. #1bob247522010-10-13 22:08

    Picture of my machine My 580B

  2. #2Phil2010-10-15 06:58

    I've never worked on a CK or B mechanical shuttle. They are very uncommon around here, and if I had one on a B, I think I would keep it . I think it's best to remove the cover and inspect the forks and the gears, might be something simple, so you wouldn't have to split the tractor. There have been posts on this problem in the past, and many have given good advice on the topic. Phil

  3. #3MidnightTowing2010-10-19 20:07

    Bob that is a really nice machine, i own a 580b as well. i like the machine a lot.

  4. #4MidnightTowing2010-10-19 20:09

    Nice 580 B bob, i own the same model i like it, but not too much pushing power on mine.

  5. #5bob247522010-10-20 21:04

    Is yours power shuttle or mechanical? I like it too. Mine will lift the rear end with hoe at full extension. However I don't have low range and the clutch is nearly shot.

  6. #6shihtzupug2010-11-12 17:23

    Power steering fluid for 580B? Sorry this is a reply, but forum won't let me post a new thread. At any rate,this might sound silly, but my 580B Case tractor lost it's power steering capabilities. Found the resevoir for it, but am wondering if I'm supposed to use the regular hydralic fluid or is there a different "power steering" fluid ? Thanks for any help, haven't been able to find any info online....

  7. #7Phil2010-11-14 07:06

    I think the operators manual calls for Case TCH fluid in the steering pump reservoir. Phil

  8. #8MidnightTowing2010-11-14 09:49

    i have been using regular power steering fluid in 580B my reservoir it seems to work, but not that great when there's a load in the front bucket.

  9. #9Fordman2010-12-15 23:46

    I just replaced my clutch on my 580B and its not fun gotta rip loader, backhoe off and split the tractor I just got it a couple months ago for 4200 and the gears in my diff , trans, shuttle looked brand new except for a little on 1st gear but thats it 580Bs are pretty solid for being how old they are.

  10. #10Mountainlion2010-12-16 08:56

    I am on probation also. I was wondering if I have to drain the tranny to replace the brade seals? Got my 72 Case 580B CK hoe home. I am glad that the former owner did not keep the oil rights. It has 8 leaking cylinders. The engine is clean which is a good sign.

  11. #11Fordman2010-12-25 00:04

    when I refilled mine I overfilled it (not knowing) when I came back barn was damp with oil , because of a bad seal on the brakes so if its not leaking now it wont when you take it off

  12. #12dhs2011-01-04 18:26

    sorry to hijack your thread> i have a an old 580 b and it quit shifting into 1st and 2nd after being towed. I have figured out that it might b related to the alignment in the shifter case(took everthing apart and that appears to be the reason) how do i align it or is there something else before I put it back together and give it a whirl. Thx again for any input and sorry for piggybacking your thread

  13. #13willie592011-01-04 20:55

    Not real clear what you're describing dhs. Are you saying you have a problem with your 4 speed gearbox shifter? Can only shift 3 and 4, but can't shift 1 and 2? Will the shifter even go into the 1 and 2 neutral slot, and just won't shift 1 and 2? Does that gearbox control the reverse as well?

  14. #14Fordman2011-01-04 21:03

    When I got my 580B mechanical shuttle 1st and 2nd didnt work either the spline had been messed up when someone had it in 1st gear and when they tryed to shift out of 1st they broke the shifting fork

  15. #15dhs2011-01-05 15:22

    nothing is broken, no filings in case just seems to be out of alignment. Put shifter back on and just messing with the screw in the shifter base I have 1 3 4 now still no 2nd. Any ideas would b helpful

  16. #16dhs2011-01-05 15:26

    different shifter for reverse. Its like it wont go into the slot,in a car I would say bent fingers or such but I am making head way. Changed the diff fluid while we are at it as it was milky.it is a old gas engine so it is quite useful and heres hoping

  17. #17willie592011-01-05 19:02

    Not sure exactly what gearbox you have. If you have the top cover off, you should be able to slide all four gears into engaged poisition, might have to rotate shafts a bit by hand to engage them, but that would give you some indication that problem isn't with the gearbox. Bent forks, that would be very visible. Be sure and look at brass or plastic wear pads at tips of shifting forks, if it has any pads. If pads are intact on one side of a fork, and worn or missing on the other side of fork, this will get gear selector rings in a bind and affect shifting. And with the cover off, you should be able to shift all four positions while viewing the movement of the shafts and forks to check the operation of top cover components. Make sure the shift lever isn't rotating when attempting a shift. If it does, this causes the ball on end of shift lever to get out of position at fork shafts.

  18. #18wray nc2011-03-03 19:23

    I hope I can interject here. I have just aquired a 580B mechanical shuttle and need to know the type of transmission lube that is required. I suspect that it is 90 weight gear oil, but don't know for sure. Anyone know? Thanks

  19. #19d2r2011-03-14 15:24

    Guys... new owner of an old hoe... 1973 580b ( power shuttle ) with a sloppy swing tower, leaky cylinders and no brakes. Engine was rebuilt ( everything but crank is what i was told ) and has very low hours. Is there a 580b for dummies thread anywhere here? Maybe Dr Phil could throw together a checklist for newbs? regards... d2r

  20. #20gluke2014-12-07 11:59

    I have about a 1978 case 580b ck. the steering walks to the left where I constant have to steer right to keep it straight. Is there some adjustment I can do on this ?

  21. #21Fordman2014-12-07 13:11

    First check the front tie rods for play, mine actually stripped out of adjustment. But it's prolly a pump or cylinder leak somewhere.

  22. #22gluke2014-12-07 13:25

    Thanks for the quick response, there is a slight leak from the pump (just a slight drip) but no others. It almost seems like a valve is stuck partly opened to the left turn side. Is there any kind of adjustment on them, or does it sound like a steering cylinder needs replacement ? Thanks Again, Gerry

  23. #23Fordman2014-12-07 14:11

    You mean like if your driving straight you keep having to continuously turn right to keep it straight right?

  24. #24gluke2014-12-07 14:26

    Yes, correct, if not , the wheels turn themselves to the left

  25. #25hookedondiesel2014-12-08 05:24

    Lift the front wheels off the ground with your bucket, then go out and check them by moving them by hand, back and forth to check for play. Start the machine with the wheels lifted and see if they turn on their own etc, have someone turn the steering while you watch whats happening in front.

  26. #26JBP2015-01-16 20:15

    Shi. See attached.

  27. #27Swampfoxo2015-05-16 18:33

    my first 580 b phil. ive been reading this forum and ive learned a lot. I just bought my 580 b tractor and im not that familiar with it. im learning though. the tractor is slow and lacks speed in 3rd and 4th gear. what I gather from that is the suction pickup in the shuttle pump. if im calling it correctly/ might drill that 3/4 in hole to clean the screen. what I wanna know is does it have a flter of any kind in its rear end. plus do the 580 bs have a high and low range if not and I only have 4 gears is the high gears or low. id also love to know about fuel economy.lol my seems to use a lot of fuel.

  28. #281968 Case 580CK2015-05-17 08:53

    What happened to Bob? He started the thread, with a question about the Hi/Lo range not working. I just did a thread with alot of pics showing how to replace a worn out woodruff key holding the Hi/Lo Selector to the inner finger.

  29. #29cws2020-02-18 16:59
  30. #3069 Kauai Boy2020-04-22 03:15

    580b is a workhorse!!

  31. #311968 Case 580CK2020-04-22 07:53

    CWS.......Hello. I am the ole guiser who posted the pics and info on the HI/Lo range repairs to the dowell pin.....which worked in my case. Another trick is to just use a strong rubber bungi cord and hook the lever in Low Range.....the pressure on it will tend to keep her from popping into neutral.